back to top
More

    Abia Government Denies Hiring ESN to Combat Crime

    Share

    The Abia State Government has denied circulating reports suggesting that Governor Alex Otti had approved the use of the Eastern Security Network (ESN), a security arm of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), to fight crime and protect farmers in the state. The government called the report, which surfaced on social media, false, malicious, and aimed at causing unnecessary panic and tension.

    In a statement issued on Sunday, April 6, 2025, by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Publicity, Ferdinand Ekeoma, the Abia government made it clear that there was no truth to the claims. The government emphasized that the faceless blogger responsible for spreading the false report had malicious intentions and sought to mislead the public.

    “This falsehood had been circulated previously but was ignored. For the records, the government of Abia State under the leadership of Dr. Alex Otti could not have contemplated engaging non-state actors to fight crime or insecurity of any kind in any part of the state,” the statement said.

    The rumours that the Abia State government had enlisted the services of ESN to combat crime began circulating on social media earlier in the week, and the reports quickly gained traction. The claims suggested that Governor Otti had approved the deployment of ESN, a controversial group known for its connection to IPOB, to help tackle rising insecurity, particularly among farmers in rural areas.

    ESN, which operates primarily in the South-Eastern region of Nigeria, has been heavily linked to IPOB, a pro-Biafra separatist group. The use of such a group to handle security matters in any state would raise significant concerns, given the group’s controversial and often violent activities. Therefore, the report suggesting that the Abia government had hired ESN raised alarm among residents and political observers alike.

    Related Posts

    In its official response, the Abia government condemned the false reports and reaffirmed its commitment to using only conventional, government-approved security forces to tackle crime and ensure the safety of citizens. Ekeoma stressed that Governor Otti’s administration has always worked closely with the Nigerian police and other security agencies, focusing on maintaining law and order in the state.

    Ekeoma went further to highlight the government’s efforts to combat insecurity in the state, particularly through the establishment of a joint security task force called “Operation Crush.” The initiative was designed to deal with the rising tide of crime in Abia, including armed robbery, kidnapping, and other forms of violence that had affected some parts of the state.

    “Operation Crush has recorded significant successes in combating crime across the state,” Ekeoma said, emphasizing that the administration remained committed to ensuring the security of all Abia residents. He acknowledged the presence of isolated criminal activities but assured that they were being addressed with the help of the state’s conventional security agencies.

    “Operation Crush” was launched by the Abia State Government to strengthen the fight against crime and insecurity in the state. The task force is a collaborative effort involving the police, military, and other security agencies working together to maintain peace and order. Since its inception, the operation has been credited with making notable strides in curbing violent crimes, particularly in the state’s rural communities.

    The operation has also been focused on curbing the activities of armed robbers and kidnappers, who have been responsible for numerous violent incidents in the state. While there have been isolated cases of crime, particularly in the areas of kidnapping and robbery, the government’s proactive approach through “Operation Crush” has led to several arrests and the dismantling of criminal gangs.

    According to Ekeoma, despite challenges in some areas, the initiative has significantly reduced the level of insecurity in Abia. He stressed that the government would continue to rely on conventional law enforcement agencies to combat crime, with the ultimate goal of ensuring a peaceful environment for all residents.

    The state government urged residents of Abia to disregard the false rumors and continue to have confidence in the administration’s ability to maintain law and order. Ekeoma reassured the public that the government would not allow any group, including non-state actors like the ESN, to take over the security functions of the state.

    “We urge the good people of Abia to remain calm and steadfast in their confidence in the government’s efforts to secure their safety. We will not allow any form of distraction or disruption to undermine our collective goal of a peaceful and secure Abia,” the statement concluded.

    Ekeoma also cautioned those behind the false reports, warning that spreading misinformation could lead to serious consequences. He highlighted that the government would take strong legal action against anyone found guilty of inciting fear and violence in the state.

    In addition to denying the allegations about ESN, the government’s statement underscored the importance of responsible reporting. Ekeoma called on the media and the public to be cautious about the sources of information they engage with, especially when it concerns sensitive issues like security. He reiterated that unverified reports could harm public peace and security, leading to unnecessary panic and confusion.

    Related Posts

    “We must all work together to ensure that falsehoods and malicious rumors do not take root in our society. The government remains committed to transparency and accountability in addressing issues of security,” he said.

    The circulation of the false report is a reminder of the growing influence of social media in shaping public opinion, especially when it comes to issues of national security. Social media platforms have become powerful tools for disseminating information, but they also pose significant challenges in terms of misinformation and fake news. The Abia State Government’s response to the false claims highlights the dangers of relying on unverified sources for important news and information.

    As the government continues to work with security agencies to tackle crime in the state, it remains essential that residents stay informed through official channels and avoid falling victim to misleading reports.

    Read more

    Local News