Panic has spread across communities in Kogi State after armed bandits stormed a church service on Sunday in Ejiba, a town in Yagba West Local Government Area, and abducted several worshippers, including the church leader and his wife. The incident has added to growing fears over insecurity in parts of the state, especially in the Yagba axis, where residents say violent attacks have increased in recent months.
According to local sources, the attack took place during morning service at a newly established Cherubim and Seraphim Church. Worshippers were in the middle of their prayers when the gunmen arrived, causing chaos as people ran in different directions to escape. The church leader, popularly known as Orlando, could not escape and was seized along with his wife and several other congregants.
Witnesses said the attackers operated boldly and without resistance. “People scattered everywhere. Everyone was afraid. Some of us ran into nearby bushes,” a resident who asked not to be named said. He added that the number of people taken was still unclear, as many members fled before the headcount could be taken.
This is not the first time the area is facing such an incident. The attack came barely 24 hours after another group of armed men struck along the Isanlu Makutu–Idofin road in Yagba East Local Government Area. That Saturday afternoon attack forced residents and travellers to run for safety, leaving many vehicles abandoned on the road. Community members said the two incidents, occurring so close together, have created widespread panic among residents, who fear the region is becoming a target for criminals.
Kogi State, often regarded as one of the major gateways to central and northern Nigeria, has in recent years experienced various security threats, including kidnapping, armed robbery, communal clashes and violent attacks by suspected bandits. While security agencies have made efforts to restore peace, many rural areas continue to struggle with safety concerns.
The Yagba area, which includes Yagba East, Yagba West, and Mopa-Muro Local Government Areas, has in the past suffered repeated cases of kidnapping, especially along the major roads connecting the communities to neighbouring Kwara and Ekiti States. Farmers, traders, and travellers have often complained about being vulnerable to attacks, especially in the evenings and on isolated routes.
Residents say the latest incidents are part of a pattern of insecurity that seems to be returning after a brief period of calm earlier in the year. Local leaders and community associations have repeatedly appealed to the government for more security presence, especially in border communities where criminal groups are believed to hide in the forests.
A community youth leader in Ejiba said efforts were being made to gather accurate information, but the situation remained tense. “People are scared. Some families have gone to check on their relatives because many phones were dropped in the rush. We are still counting,” he said.
Family members of the kidnapped victims have expressed fear and frustration, especially because the bandits have not yet contacted anyone to make demands. “We don’t know what to expect,” one relative said. “We are only praying that they are safe and will be returned soon.”
The attacks have triggered calls for urgent intervention from both the state government and security agencies. Community leaders in Yagba West and Yagba East have asked for increased patrols and a permanent security presence on rural roads, especially those that connect to border areas. Some residents fear that if the situation continues unchecked, economic activities in the region may suffer, as farmers and traders may be too afraid to travel.
In recent years, the Kogi State Government has stepped up its fight against insecurity by supporting local vigilante groups, improving equipment for security agencies, and maintaining collaboration with neighbouring states. However, analysts believe more needs to be done to protect remote communities that are often the most vulnerable.
The latest wave of attacks has caused many residents to stay indoors, avoiding travel unless absolutely necessary. Commercial drivers have also reportedly begun diverting routes to avoid trouble spots, affecting transportation and increasing travel time across the area.
A trader in Ejiba said the fear has spread beyond the immediate communities. “People in Mopa, Isanlu, and even Odo-Ere are worried. When one community is attacked, others feel it too,” she explained.
