The recent abduction of 24 schoolgirls in Kebbi State has reignited national concerns over security lapses in Nigeria, with Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe urging authorities to identify and hold accountable those responsible for the alleged withdrawal of troops that allowed the attackers to strike.
Speaking during an interview on Prime Time, a program on Arise Television on Monday, the lawmaker representing Abia South Senatorial District emphasized that whoever ordered the troops to leave the area should be “fished out.”
Governor Nasir Idris of Kebbi had previously alleged that soldiers stationed at the school were withdrawn around 3:00 a.m., and that bandits struck less than 45 minutes later, abducting 24 girls in a daring raid. The incident has drawn widespread condemnation from political leaders, security experts, and human rights groups across the country.
Senator Abaribe expressed deep concern over the circumstances surrounding the kidnapping. He said, “Why do we have to argue on this? There’s a commander there. There is a hierarchy, and whoever gave the order to withdraw troops in Kebbi needs to be fished out.”
The lawmaker further highlighted that such failures create a perception of collusion between security forces and attackers, undermining public trust. “The lack of action by the government and military authorities gives the impression to the public that there is collusion somewhere. And if there is a collusion, who is safe? This means that even if there are troops around me, I’m not safe. You are no longer sure that even the troops around you can hand you over to the bandits and then you become a victim,” he said.
Abaribe stressed that the recurring security challenges require decisive action from the government and military leadership, noting that citizens cannot live under constant fear despite the presence of armed forces.
The abduction in Kebbi State has once again highlighted the vulnerability of schools in northern and northwestern Nigeria to attacks by armed groups. According to reports, the attackers struck shortly after midnight at a government-approved school, abducting 24 girls. Local sources confirmed that the bandits executed the raid swiftly, taking advantage of the absence of security personnel.
Incidents like this are not new in Nigeria. Over the past decade, schools in Zamfara, Katsina, Kaduna, and Niger states have been repeatedly targeted, resulting in the kidnapping of hundreds of students. These attacks have exposed systemic weaknesses in security coordination and prompted widespread calls for stronger protective measures for educational institutions.
The alleged withdrawal of troops in Kebbi, as reported by the Governor, is particularly concerning because it occurred at a time when schools are prime targets. Analysts say that military and police command structures should ensure that personnel are deployed effectively and that emergency protocols are in place to prevent abductions.
The kidnapping has generated a strong political response, with lawmakers across Nigeria condemning the incident and calling for a full investigation. Senator Abaribe’s comments reflect a broader demand for accountability within the security sector.
He noted, “There comes a time in the country’s life in which this—I don’t know how I would put it now—but I would say that we must end all these.” The statement underscores the growing frustration of both political leaders and citizens over recurring security breaches.
Civil society organizations have also weighed in, demanding that the military and government explain why troops were withdrawn and what measures will be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future. Many groups have called for independent investigations to ensure transparency and restore public trust in the nation’s security apparatus.
The abduction of schoolgirls in Kebbi has reignited fears among parents and students across northern Nigeria. Many schools have temporarily closed, and some parents are keeping children at home due to fear of attacks.
This has serious implications for education, particularly for girls, who are disproportionately targeted in such attacks. Experts warn that continued insecurity could undermine efforts to improve literacy rates and gender parity in education across affected regions.
The Federal Government has vowed to respond to the Kebbi kidnapping and to ensure the safe return of the abducted girls. Military and security officials are reportedly reviewing operations in the region to identify lapses and prevent future attacks.
Governor Nasir Idris has called for urgent measures to protect schools and has directed local security agencies to strengthen intelligence gathering and patrols around vulnerable areas.
