Four teenagers have died after an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in Banki town, located in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State. The tragic incident, which happened on Friday afternoon, highlights the lingering dangers posed by explosive remnants in communities affected by more than a decade of insurgency in the North-East.
The Borno State Police Command confirmed the development in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Nahum Daso. According to the police, the explosion occurred behind the Banki Motor Park in Wajari Ward at about 12:40 pm.
Police investigations revealed that the victims had been playing with the explosive device when it detonated. The teenagers were said to have found the object in the bush and carried it into a makeshift room behind the motor park, not knowing it was dangerous.
The police spokesperson explained that a resident, Babagana Mohammed, made the initial report to the police around 1 pm. Following the call, officers from the Banki Division, together with Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) experts, moved to the scene and immediately cordoned off the area to prevent further casualties.
“Further investigations revealed that the injured boy had gone with four of his friends to a makeshift room behind the motor park, where the deceased were playing with an IED allegedly picked from the bush, when it accidentally exploded,” Daso said.
The police also confirmed that one child survived the blast but sustained serious injuries. The injured boy, identified as 12-year-old Mustapha Tijja, was quickly taken to the FHI 360 clinic in Banki, where medical personnel are currently treating him. According to the police, the boy is responding well to treatment.
Sadly, the four teenagers who died in the explosion have been identified as:
Awana Mustapha, 15
Modu Malum, 14
Lawan Ibrahim, 12
Modu Abacha, 12
The police described the loss as heartbreaking and urged residents to be cautious, especially in areas where unexploded devices may still be present.
For years, Borno State has been at the centre of violent attacks linked to Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgents. As a result, several communities—especially in rural areas—remain contaminated with IEDs, abandoned bombs, and other explosive materials. These devices are often hidden in bushes, abandoned buildings, or deserted farmlands.
Humanitarian organisations and the United Nations have repeatedly warned that unexploded ordnance poses long-term risks, especially to children who may unknowingly pick them up while playing or searching for firewood. Friday’s incident underscores those warnings and reinforces the need for continued clearance operations in post-conflict areas.
Banki, where the explosion occurred, is a border town near Cameroon and has experienced several insurgent attacks in the past. Although security has improved in recent years, remnants of explosives remain a serious threat.
The Borno State Police Command has called on residents to avoid touching or moving any unknown metallic objects found in bushes, roadsides, or abandoned structures. Instead, people are urged to immediately alert security authorities so that trained personnel can assess and safely remove such items.
The tragic explosion is likely to renew calls for increased clearance operations across Borno State. While military and police teams regularly search for and destroy explosives planted by insurgents, some devices remain undetected for years. Local leaders, humanitarian workers, and community volunteers have also been working to educate residents about the risks.
