NAF Release: Fani-Kayode Applauds Tinubu, Tuggar for Wise Diplomatic Move

0
88
Femi Fani-Kayode

Relief has spread across Nigeria following the release of 11 personnel of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and a military C-130 aircraft that had been held in Burkina Faso. The release came after days of diplomatic engagement between the Nigerian government and authorities in the West African country.

Reacting to the development, Nigerian ambassador-designate and former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, described the outcome as a “great victory” for calm thinking and diplomacy. He praised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, for what he described as wise handling of a sensitive international matter.

The incident began about two weeks ago when a Nigerian Air Force C-130 aircraft, carrying 11 military personnel, made a forced landing in Bobo Dioulasso, a city in Burkina Faso. The aircraft was on a ferry mission to Portugal when it reportedly developed technical problems.

According to Nigerian authorities, the landing was a precautionary measure taken to ensure the safety of the crew and the aircraft. The NAF personnel involved were said to be on a routine and lawful mission, with no hostile intent toward any country.

Advertisement

However, the situation quickly became tense following reactions from leaders within the Sahel region.

Related Posts

Mali’s military leader, Colonel Assimi Goita, reacted strongly to the landing. He described the action as an “unfriendly act carried out in defiance of international law.” His comments raised concerns across the region, especially given the growing tension between Sahel countries and members of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), including Nigeria.

Goita also issued a warning that countries in the Sahel region would take steps to neutralize any aircraft they believe violates their airspace. His statement increased fears that the incident could lead to a wider diplomatic crisis.

Although the aircraft landed in Burkina Faso, Mali’s reaction reflected the shared security and political stance among some Sahel countries, especially those currently under military rule.

Following the forced landing, the 11 Nigerian Air Force personnel were held by Burkinabe authorities. While reports indicated that the officers were treated well, their continued stay raised concerns in Nigeria.

Families of the detained officers, as well as members of the public, expressed worry over their safety and the fate of the aircraft. There were also fears that the situation could affect Nigeria’s relations with Burkina Faso and other Sahel nations.

In response to the situation, the Nigerian government moved quickly to resolve the matter through diplomacy. A high-level delegation was sent to Burkina Faso to engage directly with the country’s leadership.

The delegation was led by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar. He met with the Burkinabe military leader, Captain Ibrahim Traoré, in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso.

Sources said the talks focused on clarifying the circumstances surrounding the aircraft’s landing and reassuring Burkina Faso that Nigeria had no hostile intentions. The Nigerian delegation also emphasized the importance of regional cooperation and mutual respect among African countries.

On Wednesday, the diplomatic efforts paid off as the Burkinabe authorities released the 11 Nigerian Air Force personnel and the C-130 aircraft. The officers were allowed to return home safely, bringing an end to days of uncertainty.

The release was widely welcomed in Nigeria, with many praising the government’s calm and diplomatic approach to resolving the issue.

Related Posts

Officials described the outcome as proof that dialogue remains the best option in resolving international disputes, especially among neighboring African countries with shared security challenges.

Reacting to the news, Femi Fani-Kayode took to social media platform X to express his satisfaction. He described the development as good news for Nigeria and a victory for diplomacy.

“Great news that our 11 military personnel and C130 aircraft have been released by the Burkinabe authorities and returned home,” he wrote.

“This is a great victory for restraint, level-headedness and diplomacy. I commend the efforts of @officialABAT and @YusufTuggar for their efforts.”

His comments echoed the views of many Nigerians who believe that restraint helped prevent the situation from turning into a major diplomatic crisis.

The incident comes at a time of strained relations between some West African countries and military-led governments in the Sahel region, including Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger. These countries have recently taken steps to distance themselves from ECOWAS, accusing the bloc of interference.

Nigeria, as a leading member of ECOWAS, has often called for dialogue and peaceful engagement with the Sahel states, despite political differences. Analysts say this latest incident tested Nigeria’s diplomatic strength and commitment to peaceful resolution.

For now, Nigerians are relieved that the officers are back home safely. The government has also been urged to continue engaging regional partners to reduce tension and strengthen cooperation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here