Police Expose Fake Kidnapping Plot, Arrest Five in Lagos

0
168

The Lagos State Police Command has uncovered a fake kidnapping scheme and arrested five suspects linked to a viral video that caused fear and concern across social media. The video showed a young schoolboy crying and begging for his life in what appeared to be a kidnappers’ den.

The suspects were arrested by operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Tactical Squad of the Lagos State Police Command after intelligence-led investigations. The arrests were made on Thursday, 18 December 2025, around 1:00 p.m., according to a statement released by the Command.

The statement, signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Adebisi, was shared on the official X handle of the Lagos State Police Command on Friday. It explained that the kidnapping was not real but carefully planned by the supposed victim and his friends to extort money.

According to the police, the case was first reported as a missing person incident on 26 November 2025 at the Ago Palace Police Division. The report raised alarm, as family members believed that 15-year-old Victor Aligwo had been kidnapped by unknown persons.

Advertisement

Soon after, a disturbing video surfaced online showing the boy in distress. In the video, Victor was seen pleading for mercy, while voices in the background threatened him. The clip spread quickly on social media, drawing sympathy from members of the public and increasing pressure on his family.

Related Posts

However, further investigations by the police revealed that the kidnapping was staged. Preliminary findings showed that Victor Aligwo planned the act with four of his friends. The fake kidnapping was carried out at the residence of one of the suspects, identified as Umeh Victor.

The suspects arrested in connection with the crime are Kosiko Patrick (17), Victor Aligwo (15), David Odudu (19), Anyabike Kingsley (20), and Umeh Victor (19). They were arrested during operations conducted on 17 and 18 December at Volkswagen Roundabout and the Ago Palace area of Lagos.

Police investigations revealed that the aim of the fake abduction was to collect money from Victor Aligwo’s mother. She had reportedly received a sum of N4 million from contributions, a fact the suspects were aware of.

To carry out their plan, the suspects recorded the video of Victor acting as a kidnapped victim. The video was meant to scare his mother and force her to pay a ransom. The police said the suspects deliberately created a tense and emotional scene to make the story look real.

Their plan worked, as the boy’s mother reportedly paid a ransom of N1.7 million. The payment was made through a Point-of-Sale (POS) terminal, which the police were later able to trace. Investigators said the money was shared among the suspects shortly after it was received.

The Lagos State Police Command said tracking the ransom payment played a key role in uncovering the truth behind the case. With the help of intelligence and financial records, officers were able to locate and arrest the suspects.

The Command confirmed that investigations are still ongoing and that the suspects will be charged to court after the process is completed. The police also said more details would be made public as the case develops.

Reacting to the incident, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, CP Olohundare Jimoh, warned criminal elements to stay away from crime. He stressed that the Command would not tolerate any act that threatens public peace or exploits innocent people.

CP Jimoh also reassured Lagos residents that the Command remains fully committed to protecting lives and property across the state. He urged parents to pay closer attention to their children and be alert to changes in their behaviour.

He further explained that the incident was not a real kidnapping, despite the fear it caused. He called on the public to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information on social media.

Related Posts

Kidnapping has become a serious security concern in many parts of Nigeria. Over the years, both real and fake kidnapping cases have caused fear among citizens. Criminals often use kidnapping to demand ransom, taking advantage of families and communities.

In Lagos, the police have stepped up efforts to fight kidnapping and other violent crimes. The Anti-Kidnapping Tactical Squad was set up to respond quickly to such cases, using intelligence and technology to track suspects.

The Command has also warned against prank crimes and fake emergencies. Police officials say staging crimes, even as a joke or personal plan, wastes security resources and creates unnecessary panic.

The Lagos State Police Command urged residents to report suspicious activities promptly. Members of the public were encouraged to use the police emergency numbers to share information that could help prevent crime.

The emergency numbers provided by the Command are 0706 101 9374, 0806 515 4338, 0806 329 9264, and 0803 934 4870.

Parents and guardians have also been advised to talk openly with their children about the dangers and legal consequences of crime. The police stressed that young people involved in criminal acts can face serious punishment under the law.

As the suspects prepare to face prosecution, the police say the case serves as a warning to others who may be planning similar acts. The Command reaffirmed its resolve to continue fighting crime and ensuring the safety of all residents in Lagos State.

The incident has sparked discussions among residents about the influence of social media and the pressure to make quick money. Many Lagosians have called for stronger guidance for youths and better awareness of the consequences of crime.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here