The Nigerian Army has rejected claims circulating online that soldiers deployed under Operation MESA in Ogun State have been denied their allowances and that troops stationed along the state’s border corridors extort motorists.
The clarification came in a statement on Friday from Assistant Director of Army Public Relations, 35 Artillery Brigade, Idereghi Samuel Akari, who described the allegations as false, malicious, and deliberately misleading.
The viral video, reportedly created by an individual identified as Abdul, accused the Commander of the 35 Artillery Brigade, Brigadier General Godwin Nwamba; the Commanding Officer of the 351 Artillery Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Innocent Matthew; and the Brigade Operations Officer, Major Isaac Ezechukwu, of wrongdoing. The video claimed that soldiers had not been paid their entitlements and were engaging in corrupt practices along border routes.
However, the Army spokesman dismissed the claims, saying the author of the video is a disgruntled retired airman with a history of spreading falsehoods and propaganda against senior military officers during his service.
“The allegations are baseless and should be condemned in their entirety. The individual behind the video is known for attempting to discredit military leadership through misinformation and is clearly seeking attention and public sympathy through false narratives,” the statement read.
The Nigerian Army clarified that soldiers currently on duty are operating under Operation MESA, a multi-agency security initiative funded by the Ogun State Government. The operation is aimed at improving security along major routes, protecting lives and property, and supporting law enforcement efforts in the state.
Before Brigadier General Nwamba assumed command in January 2025, personnel deployed under the operation received a monthly allowance of N45,000. Following his assumption of office, the Brigade Commander approved an increase in the allowance to N60,000 per soldier, in line with the Chief of Army Staff’s philosophy on troop welfare and sound administration.
Akari stated that the allowances are paid regularly by the Ogun State Government without delay, emphasizing that the claim of unpaid entitlements was untrue.
“Our soldiers are well taken care of, and their welfare remains a priority. Any assertion that they are being denied allowances is completely false,” Akari said.
The Army also refuted allegations that troops stationed along the Ogun State border engage in extortion or illegal collection of money from motorists.
“There has been no credible report of extortion by our personnel. The Nigerian Army has zero tolerance for indiscipline and unethical conduct,” Akari said.
He added that in compliance with directives from Defence and Army Headquarters, all unnecessary checkpoints along border routes have been removed. Only authorised security agencies are allowed to conduct vehicle inspections, ensuring minimal disruption to traffic and commerce.
This clarification comes amid growing concerns over reports of corruption and misconduct by security personnel in various parts of Nigeria. Social media has become a major platform where such claims spread quickly, sometimes without verification.
Akari reaffirmed the commitment of the 35 Artillery Brigade to professionalism, transparency, and the welfare of its personnel. He assured the public that the Brigade will continue to work closely with other security agencies and local stakeholders to safeguard lives and property across Ogun State.
“We remain dedicated to upholding the highest standards of military discipline while ensuring the safety of civilians and the protection of critical infrastructure,” he said.
The Nigerian Army has previously emphasised that its personnel are expected to adhere to strict codes of conduct. Any soldier found engaging in corrupt or unethical practices faces disciplinary action, which can include dismissal, prosecution, or other penalties.
Ogun State, located in southwestern Nigeria, shares borders with Lagos State and the Republic of Benin. Its strategic location along major highways and commercial corridors has made security a priority for the Nigerian government.
Operation MESA (Military, Economic, Security, and Assistance) was launched to enhance the safety of communities, prevent armed robbery, curb smuggling, and support law enforcement agencies in border management. Since its inception, the operation has contributed to the reduction of crime in several areas.
The presence of soldiers along border corridors and checkpoints is part of efforts to secure trade routes, prevent illegal activities, and ensure safe passage for motorists and goods. While social media reports sometimes allege misconduct, security agencies insist that strict supervision and accountability mechanisms are in place.
The viral video that prompted the Army’s statement has circulated widely on WhatsApp, Twitter, and Facebook. Videos alleging misconduct by security forces have become common in Nigeria, and authorities often respond by issuing clarifications or warnings to prevent misinformation from undermining public trust.
The Army has urged the public to verify information through official channels before accepting or sharing content online. According to Akari, videos like the one produced by Abdul are designed to mislead civilians and tarnish the reputation of the military.
“We call on Nigerians to disregard such malicious claims and to continue supporting our troops as they perform their duties professionally,” Akari added.
The Army’s response seeks to reassure the public that soldiers are well-compensated and strictly monitored. It also highlights the Army’s commitment to working within legal frameworks and maintaining good relations with communities.
The 35 Artillery Brigade, under the leadership of Brigadier General Nwamba, will continue to monitor operations and maintain discipline among troops deployed in Ogun State. The Brigade also plans to engage with community leaders, stakeholders, and the media to ensure accurate reporting of military activities.
As Nigeria continues to face security challenges, the Army remains a key partner in supporting civil authorities, protecting citizens, and promoting stability. Public cooperation and trust are critical to the success of security operations such as Operation MESA.
By addressing false claims and clarifying troop welfare, the Nigerian Army hopes to maintain the confidence of both its personnel and the public while continuing its mission to safeguard the state.

Leave a Reply