No fewer than 80 militants operating in the creeks around Calabar and parts of Akpabuyo Local Government Area of Cross River State have voluntarily surrendered their arms and ammunition to the Nigerian Army. The development is being seen as a major step toward restoring lasting peace and security in the coastal areas of the state.
The surrender took place on Friday at the Atimbo Rear Area of Operation OKWOK in Akpabuyo Local Government Area. It was carried out under the supervision of the 13 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, which is responsible for security operations in the area.
According to the army, the militants came from two major camps that had been active in the creeks for several years. The first group was led by ThankGod Ebikontei, popularly known as Ayibanuagha. He presented 39 fighters who agreed to embrace the amnesty programme and abandon armed struggle.
The second group was led by John Isaac, also known as Akpokolo. His camp, widely referred to as the Akpokolo Marine Forces or Border Boys, presented 41 fighters. The group has been known in the past for its activities along the waterways and border communities.
During the surrender exercise, the militants handed over a large cache of weapons, ammunition, and other items used for criminal activities. These included three AK-47 rifles, two pump-action guns, one Mark 4 rifle, one G3 rifle, and 12 single-barrel guns.
Other items recovered by the army included 10 AK-47 magazines, one C4 explosive charge, 19 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition, and 84 DENGUN cartridges. The militants also surrendered three speedboats, four boat engines, assorted military kits, tools, locally made weapons, and other accessories.
The display of arms and equipment highlighted the level of firepower previously in the hands of the militant groups and the potential threat they posed to peace and economic activities in the area.
Speaking at the event, the Commander of 13 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Brigadier-General P. O. Alimikhena, described the surrender as a major confidence-building achievement in the ongoing effort to improve security in Cross River State.
He said the decision by the militants to give up their weapons showed that sustained military pressure, dialogue, and cooperation with other stakeholders were yielding positive results.
“This voluntary surrender demonstrates the effectiveness of our sustained operations, constructive engagement, and close collaboration with the Cross River State Government and other security agencies,” Alimikhena said.
He added that the army remains committed to providing a safe and secure environment for residents of the state, especially those living in riverine and border communities that have been affected by years of militancy and criminal activities.
Brigadier-General Alimikhena also assured that the Nigerian Army would continue to support lawful initiatives aimed at rehabilitating and reintegrating repentant youths back into society.
“Our goal is not just to take weapons away, but to ensure lasting peace and stability,” he said. “We will continue to work with the state government and other partners to make sure these youths are given a second chance.”
Cross River State has, in the past, faced security challenges linked to militancy, sea piracy, illegal bunkering, and cult-related violence, especially in its coastal and riverine areas. These activities affected fishing, trade, tourism, and the general safety of residents.
The creeks around Calabar and Akpabuyo are strategic because of their proximity to international waterways and neighbouring countries. Criminal activities in these areas have often raised concerns among security agencies and investors.
In recent years, however, the state government, working with the military and other security agencies, has intensified efforts to promote peace through dialogue, community engagement, and targeted security operations.
Operation OKWOK, under which the surrender took place, is part of the Nigerian Army’s broader strategy to curb criminal activities and protect critical assets in the South-South region.
Following the surrender, the former militants were formally handed over to the Cross River State Government’s Rapid Response Team. They are currently undergoing profiling by the Department of State Services (DSS) at Muka Sam Hotel in Ikot Ansa, Calabar.
The profiling process is expected to help authorities document the individuals, assess their backgrounds, and determine suitable rehabilitation and reintegration plans.
A statement signed by the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, Headquarters 13 Brigade, Major Yemi Sokoya, confirmed the development and praised the Cross River State Government for its role in promoting peace.
“The Nigerian Army commends the Cross River State Government for its strong commitment to peace and security,” the statement said. “We pledge continued collaboration with all stakeholders to consolidate these gains and prevent a relapse into criminality.”
Residents of Akpabuyo and surrounding communities have welcomed the development, expressing hope that the surrender will lead to improved safety and economic activities in the area.
A community leader in Akpabuyo said the decision by the militants to lay down their arms was long overdue.
“We have suffered for many years because of fear and insecurity,” he said. “If these young men are truly ready to change, we welcome them back and hope the government will help them start a new life.”
They also stress the importance of proper rehabilitation programmes to ensure that former militants do not return to crime due to poverty or lack of opportunities.
With the latest surrender, authorities believe Cross River State is making steady progress toward lasting peace. However, they warn that sustained engagement, monitoring, and support will be needed to maintain the gains.
