Panic Averted as Police Trace Bomb Threat Messages to Lagos Resident

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a man identified as Kosiso Chukwem-Nenyem for allegedly sending bomb threat messages to two schools located in the Ikeja Government Reserved Area (GRA) of the state. The arrest followed swift security action that prevented panic and disruption in the schools and their surrounding communities.

The police made the arrest public on Monday during a briefing at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja. The Commissioner of Police, Moshood Jimoh, said the suspect was responsible for sending threatening WhatsApp messages claiming that explosive devices had been planted within the school premises.

According to the police, the incident occurred on January 20, 2026, at about 4:00 p.m., when the Human Resources Manager and the Chief Security Officer of the affected schools separately reported to the Ikeja Divisional Police Headquarters. Both officials said they received alarming messages from the same unknown phone number.

“The messages stated that bombs had been planted inside the school premises,” Jimoh said. “Because of the sensitive nature of the threat and the location of the schools, we treated the report with utmost seriousness.”

The Ikeja GRA is a high-profile area of Lagos, hosting schools, government offices, residences, and businesses. Any security threat in the area often raises concern among residents, parents, and authorities due to the number of children and public institutions located there.

Immediately after receiving the report, the Lagos State Police Command activated its emergency response. Officers from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Unit, the Counter-Terrorism Unit (CTU), and other tactical teams were deployed to the schools.

The police cordoned off the affected areas and carried out a detailed search of classrooms, offices, playgrounds, and surrounding environments. Parents and school officials were kept informed as security checks were conducted.

“After a thorough sweep of the premises, no explosive device was discovered,” Jimoh said. “The schools were declared safe, and normal activities resumed.”

Following the successful security operation, police launched an investigation to trace the source of the threatening messages. According to the commissioner, digital tracking and intelligence work led officers to Kosiso Chukwem-Nenyem, a resident of Okota area of Lagos.

Jimoh said the suspect was invited for questioning, during which he claimed that he had lost his mobile phone in November 2025 and was therefore not responsible for the messages sent in January 2026.

However, police investigations contradicted his claim. According to the commissioner, records showed that the phone line continued to receive calls from family members during the period the threats were sent. The SIM card used to send the messages was also recovered from the suspect.

“Evidence gathered during investigation showed that the suspect’s claim was false,” Jimoh said. “The SIM card used to send the bomb threat messages was recovered from him.”

Preliminary findings, according to the police, indicate that the suspect acted alone and deliberately sent the messages to cause fear among school authorities, parents, and the general public.

The commissioner stressed that false bomb threats are serious criminal offences that waste security resources, disrupt public peace, and create unnecessary panic.

“Bomb threats, whether real or fake, are treated as threats to public safety,” Jimoh said. “Anyone found engaging in such acts will face the full weight of the law.”

He confirmed that the suspect would be charged to court after the conclusion of investigations.

The incident has once again highlighted the growing challenge of false security alerts, especially those spread through social media and messaging platforms. In recent years, security agencies across Nigeria have had to respond to several hoax threats targeting schools, markets, worship centres, and public buildings.

Parents of students in the affected schools expressed relief that the threat turned out to be false, but many also called for strict punishment for those who spread fear.

“This kind of message can cause serious panic,” a parent said. “Children can be traumatised, and parents can lose confidence in school safety.”

The Lagos State Police Command used the occasion to warn members of the public against spreading false information or making prank threats.

Jimoh said security agencies would continue to take all threats seriously, regardless of the source, and urged residents to cooperate with law enforcement.

“Members of the public should be aware that making false threats is a crime,” he said. “We advise everyone to act responsibly.”

The police commissioner also announced during the briefing that the command had dismantled a notorious one-chance robbery syndicate operating in different parts of Lagos. A total of 21 suspects were arrested in connection with the criminal group.

“One-chance” robbery refers to a common crime in Lagos where unsuspecting passengers are lured into vehicles by criminals posing as commercial drivers. Victims are often robbed, assaulted, and sometimes injured.

Jimoh said the suspects were arrested during intelligence-led operations carried out across the state. He noted that the arrests were part of the command’s ongoing efforts to tackle crime and ensure public safety.

The Lagos State Police Command has in recent months intensified patrols, surveillance, and intelligence gathering, especially in areas prone to crime and security threats.

The commissioner praised officers involved in both the bomb threat investigation and the anti-robbery operations, describing their actions as professional and timely.

He also reassured Lagos residents that the police remain committed to protecting lives and property, particularly in sensitive locations such as schools.

“Schools must remain safe places for learning,” Jimoh said. “We will not allow anyone to threaten the safety of children or disrupt public peace.”

The arrest of the bomb threat suspect and the dismantling of the robbery syndicate, the police said, reflect the command’s resolve to respond swiftly to security challenges and maintain calm across Lagos State.

For parents, school administrators, and residents of Ikeja GRA, the incident has ended without harm, but it serves as a reminder of the importance of vigilance and responsible use of communication platforms in a densely populated city like Lagos.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *