Lagos Couple in Police Net Over Alleged Self-Kidnap, N10m Ransom Scam

0
52

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a couple for allegedly staging their own kidnap and collecting N10 million in ransom from their families and friends. The suspects, identified simply as Fred and Goodness, were accused of faking the abduction in order to raise money for foreign travel.

The incident, which occurred earlier this month, has shocked many residents and added to growing concerns over fake kidnapping cases in Lagos and other parts of the country. Police sources said the couple carefully planned the act and contacted relatives on both sides of their families to demand ransom.

According to information gathered by security operatives, the couple reportedly staged the fake kidnap on January 7. After pretending to have been abducted, they began calling and sending messages to close family members and friends, claiming that kidnappers were holding them and demanding money for their release.

A security source familiar with the case said the aim of the plot was to raise funds for the husband, who wanted to return to the United States but lacked the financial support to do so.

Advertisement

“The couple faked their kidnapping, thereby calling on friends and families for contributions towards the ransom payment,” the source said. “According to them, the husband wanted to travel back to the US, and he needed some money, but their sponsors were not forthcoming. So they planned it together, hoping that by doing this, they would be able to raise some money.”

Related Posts

Believing that their loved ones were in danger, family members reportedly acted quickly. Within three days, relatives and friends raised a total of N10 million, thinking the money would secure the safe release of the couple.

Sources said the families were deeply worried and did not suspect any foul play. Like many Nigerians, they were influenced by the rising cases of kidnapping across the country, especially in urban areas like Lagos, where criminal gangs have increasingly targeted residents for ransom.

Kidnapping has become a major security concern in Nigeria over the past decade. While the crime is more common in some northern and southern states, cases have also been recorded in Lagos, often causing panic among families and communities. This background made it easier for the couple’s story to be believed, police sources said.

Trouble began for the suspects when arrangements were made for the ransom to be delivered. Another police source said the couple selected a location at a school in the Cappa area of Mushin, Lagos, as the drop-off point for the money.

Unbeknown to them, security operatives were monitoring activities in the area following intelligence reports.

“Operatives monitoring the area noticed the woman entering the premises alone, while the man arrived separately moments later,” the source said. “Suspicion was raised when both suspects later emerged together carrying a bag.”

The officers reportedly stopped the couple and searched the bag they were carrying. Inside, they found a large sum of money, later confirmed to be the ransom collected from their families.

The discovery immediately raised red flags. The couple was arrested on the spot and questioned by security operatives.

During interrogation, the wife allegedly confessed that the kidnap was fake and that she had encouraged her husband to carry out the plan.

“The operatives stopped them, searched the bag, and discovered the ransom money, prompting their immediate arrest,” the source added. “The wife said she was the one who encouraged the husband to make them plot the kidnap.”

Related Posts

The suspects were later handed over to the Lagos State Police Command for further investigation. After preliminary findings, the police confirmed that the incident was indeed a case of self-orchestrated kidnap.

The Police Public Relations Officer for the command, Abimbola Addebisi, confirmed the arrest and said investigations were ongoing.

“The incident has been confirmed, and the couple is currently under investigation,” she said. “They will be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.”

She did not disclose further details but warned members of the public against engaging in such criminal acts.

The incident has again drawn attention to the growing trend of self-kidnap and fake abduction cases in Nigeria. In recent years, law enforcement agencies have uncovered several cases where individuals staged their own kidnapping to extort money from family members.

In some cases, victims of fake kidnapping have claimed they needed money to settle debts, start businesses, fund travel plans or solve personal problems. Security experts say such acts not only waste police resources but also worsen fear and anxiety in society.

A senior police officer, who spoke anonymously, said fake kidnappings make the work of security agencies more difficult.

“When people stage their own kidnapping, it diverts attention from real cases,” he said. “It also puts families under emotional and financial stress, sometimes pushing them into debt.”

He added that fake kidnapping cases also reduce public trust and make it harder for authorities to respond quickly when genuine cases occur.

The police have warned that anyone found involved in such crimes, whether directly or indirectly, will be dealt with according to the law.

For many Nigerians, the case of Fred and Goodness serves as a reminder that desperation and poor planning can lead to serious legal trouble. What began as an attempt to raise travel funds has now placed the couple at risk of prosecution and possible imprisonment.

The police have advised members of the public to be cautious when responding to ransom demands and to always involve security agencies immediately.

“While families naturally want to act fast, especially when they believe a loved one is in danger, it is important to alert the police,” a police source said. “Early involvement can help prevent fraud and save families from financial loss.”

As investigations continue, the Lagos State Police Command says it remains committed to tackling both real kidnapping and fake abduction cases. The command also urged citizens to seek lawful means of solving financial problems rather than turning to crime.

The case has sparked conversations across Lagos about trust, desperation and the need for stronger family support systems, especially in a time of economic hardship. For now, Fred and Goodness remain in custody, awaiting the conclusion of investigations and their day in court.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here