Relief for Makoko Residents as Lagos Lawmakers Suspend Demolition Exercise

0
48
Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa

The Lagos State House of Assembly has ordered the suspension of the planned demolition of houses and other structures in Makoko, following strong protests by residents, activists, and civil society groups.

The decision was announced on Tuesday by the Majority Leader of the House, Hon. Noheem Adams, in a statement issued on behalf of the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa, and other members of the Assembly.

Makoko is a densely populated waterfront community located in Lagos Mainland. Often described as a fishing settlement, the area is home to thousands of low-income residents, many of whom depend on fishing and small trading for survival. Over the years, Makoko has faced repeated threats of eviction and demolition due to urban development plans and environmental concerns.

The planned demolition of buildings in the area recently sparked outrage among residents and rights groups, who argued that many families would be left homeless without proper notice, compensation, or alternative housing.

Advertisement

In recent days, protests were held in and around Makoko, with residents carrying placards and calling on the state government to stop the demolitions. Several civil society organisations also issued statements urging the government to respect the rights of the people and follow due process.

Related Posts

According to Hon. Adams, the Assembly decided to step in after holding a meeting with representatives of the Makoko community. During the meeting, community leaders reportedly shared their concerns about the impact of the demolition on their lives and livelihoods.

“The House has listened to the people,” Adams said. “We are taking this matter seriously. All ongoing demolitions should be stopped.”

He explained that the lawmakers agreed that demolitions should not continue until all issues surrounding the exercise are properly reviewed.

Adams added that the House would work closely with relevant ministries, departments, and agencies of the Lagos State Government to examine the reasons for the demolition plan and ensure that the rights of residents are protected.

According to him, all stakeholders, including community leaders, government officials, and civil society groups, will be fully engaged before any further action is taken.

Makoko has long been at the centre of debates over urban planning in Lagos. The state government has often raised concerns about safety, sanitation, and environmental risks in the area, especially buildings constructed on water without proper approval.

In the past, the government has argued that some structures in Makoko pose danger to residents and could lead to loss of lives, particularly during flooding or fire outbreaks.

However, residents have consistently argued that they were not consulted before decisions were made and that demolitions were carried out without adequate planning or support.

Many activists say Makoko represents a wider challenge in Lagos, where rapid urban growth has put pressure on land and housing, especially for the poor.

Civil society groups have welcomed the Assembly’s decision to suspend the demolitions, describing it as a step in the right direction.

Related Posts

A human rights activist based in Lagos said the move would help reduce tension in the community and allow for dialogue.

“This shows that peaceful protest and engagement can bring results,” the activist said. “The next step is for the government to work with the people to find solutions that do not destroy lives.”

Residents of Makoko also expressed relief after the announcement. Many said they had been living in fear since news of the planned demolition broke.

A fisherman in the area said, “We were scared we would lose our homes overnight. Now we can breathe a little, but we still want clear answers.”

Another resident said families had started moving their belongings in anticipation of demolition.

“We were not sleeping well,” she said. “We thank the Assembly for listening, but we hope this is not just temporary.”

The Lagos State House of Assembly said it would continue to monitor the situation and ensure that any future actions taken by the government follow the law and respect human dignity.

For now, the demolition exercise in Makoko remains on hold, as residents, activists, and government officials await further discussions and decisions.

Many hope that the pause will lead to a more inclusive approach to development, one that balances urban planning with the welfare of vulnerable communities.

As Lagos continues to expand as a major economic and population centre, the Makoko situation serves as a reminder of the need for policies that leave no one behind.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here