The trial of former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, over an alleged N80.2 billion money-laundering case continued on Thursday at the Federal High Court in Maitama, Abuja, with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) presenting more details of financial transactions linked to the case.
At the resumed hearing, a prosecution witness told the court how N46.5 million was transferred to the American International School (AIS) from an account connected to one of the companies under investigation.
Yahaya Bello is standing trial on a 19-count charge brought against him by the EFCC. The charges border on money laundering involving the alleged sum of N80,246,470,088.88. The former governor has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.
Testifying as Prosecution Witness 8 (PW8), Mr Gabriel Ochoche, a compliance officer with First City Monument Bank (FCMB), gave details of transactions carried out through the bank.
Ochoche told the court that payments were made to educational institutions from the account of Kunfayakun Global Limited, a company linked to the case.
“Among the payments identified were transfers to educational institutions, including N30 million on November 1, 2021, to American International School/Abdul Bashir, and another N16,505,400 to American International School,” the witness said.
According to him, the total amount transferred to the school was N46.5 million.
The witness was led in evidence by EFCC lawyer, Mr Olukayode Enitan, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). Ochoche appeared in court following a subpoena issued to him. The subpoena was admitted by the court as Exhibit 36 without any objection from Bello’s defence team.
Ochoche further told the court that he brought several bank documents related to the account of Kunfayakun Global Limited. These included the company’s statement of account, certificate of compliance, and account-opening documents.
The account, with number 7819613011, covered transactions from June 2021 to August 2022. The documents were admitted as Exhibit 37.
Clarifying the period covered by the statement of account, the witness said it showed transactions from June 29, 2021, to December 31, 2024.
He explained that the statement of account contained key details such as transaction dates, references, descriptions, value dates, deposits, withdrawals, and balances.
While reading from the statement of account, Ochoche highlighted several large inflows into the account of Kunfayakun Global Limited.
He told the court that on December 15, 2021, the company received N700 million through a NIP transfer from Keyless Nature Limited.
Two days later, on December 17, 2021, another N400 million was received through a Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) transfer from Access Bank, also on the order of Keyless Nature Limited.
Explaining the transaction method, Ochoche said, “RTGS is a transfer carried out by one bank on behalf of a customer.”
The witness also identified transactions that took place on November 2, 2021. On that day, Kunfayakun Global Limited received three inflows from Gadonkaya Global Concept: N10 million, another N10 million, and N8.96 million.
On the same day, he said there was an outflow of N34,506,600 paid to “American School and China Payment/Abdul Bashir.”
The witness further told the court that on February 18, 2022, Kunfayakun Global Limited received six separate NIP transfers of N100 million each from Ejadams Essence Limited.
“Yes, my lord, I confirm that N600 million was received from Ejadams Essence Limited,” Ochoche said.
He added that on February 21, 2022, there was an RTGS inflow of N325 million into the same account. The value date for the transaction was February 18, 2022, and it was ordered by Ejadams Essence Limited through Access Bank.
Earlier in the proceedings, Prosecution Witness 7 (PW7), Mr Olomotane Egoro, a compliance officer with Access Bank, continued his testimony under cross-examination by the defence.
Egoro clarified an entry of N20 million dated June 22, 2022, which appeared in one of the bank documents tendered before the court.
“No, my lord, it was not a cash withdrawal,” he said, explaining that the amount was an outflow for the supply of educational materials.
However, the witness said he could not identify the beneficiary of the transaction from the document presented to him.
Egoro also confirmed that one Yakubu Siyaka made several cash withdrawals totalling more than N552 million between January 9, 2019, and December 30, 2022.
While responding to questions, he explained the bank’s role in monitoring customer transactions.
“The customer can use his money as he likes; however, the bank has a reporting obligation where transactions do not fit the customer’s profile or fall under money laundering typologies,” Egoro told the court.
Yahaya Bello served as governor of Kogi State from 2016 to 2024. His administration has been under investigation by the EFCC over alleged financial misconduct involving public funds.
The EFCC alleges that large sums of money were moved through different companies and accounts in a way that violated money-laundering laws. The commission says the transactions were designed to hide the true source and use of the funds.
Bello has denied all allegations and maintains that he is innocent. His legal team has consistently challenged the prosecution’s evidence and the credibility of the witnesses.
The case is being heard by Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Maitama. The judge has continued to admit documents and hear testimonies from both sides as the trial progresses.
The proceedings have attracted national attention due to the size of the alleged fraud and Bello’s status as a former governor.
As the trial continues, more witnesses are expected to testify, and additional documents may be tendered by the prosecution to support its case.
The court adjourned the matter to a later date for the continuation of the trial.
