Nine Headteachers Suspended in Anambra Over Empty Classrooms on Monday

The Anambra State Government has suspended the headteachers of nine public primary and secondary schools for two weeks following reports of very low attendance of pupils and students on Monday.

The suspension was announced by the Chairman of the Anambra State Universal Basic Education Board (ASUBEB), Dr Vera Nwadinobi, during an assessment visit to the affected schools. The visit was carried out to check compliance with the state government’s directive that schools must open fully on Mondays despite the sit-at-home order previously observed in parts of the South-East.

Dr Nwadinobi expressed disappointment at what she described as poor attendance of pupils and students, even though teachers were present in the schools visited.

According to her, the assessment was part of the government’s effort to ensure that public schools obey the Executive Order issued by Governor Chukwuma Soludo, which abolished the closure of schools on Mondays.

During the monitoring exercise, officials found that many of the schools had either no pupils at all or only a handful in attendance.

At Union Primary School, Ukpo, in Dunukofia Local Government Area, only three pupils were present in the entire school. At Walter Eze Secondary School, also in Ukpo, no student was found.

Similarly, at Aguoji Primary School, Ifitedunu, five pupils were seen, while Hilltop Primary School, also in Ifitedunu, had just three pupils in attendance.

In Idemili North Local Government Area, the situation was no better. At Chukwurah Primary School, Abatete, no pupil was found. Uzubi Primary School, Eziowelle, recorded only two pupils, while Union Primary School, Eziowelle, had just three pupils present.

At Umunebo Primary School, Nteje, in Oyi Local Government Area, officials found no pupils at all. The same situation was recorded at Central School, Atani, in Ogbaru Local Government Area, where classrooms were completely empty.

Speaking after the visits, Dr Nwadinobi said the findings were unacceptable and showed negligence on the part of the headteachers.

“Following the findings, Mr Governor has approved the suspension of the headteachers of the affected schools for two weeks,” she said.

She added that the suspended headteachers have been directed to hand over their responsibilities immediately to the next most senior officers in their schools to ensure that administrative activities continue without disruption.

According to her, the action taken by the government shows its zero tolerance for negligence and its strong commitment to restoring discipline and accountability in public schools.

“The government is serious about ensuring full academic engagement in our schools. Our children must not be denied education under any excuse,” she said.

For several years, parts of the South-East have experienced sit-at-home observances on Mondays, originally linked to agitation and security concerns in the region. Over time, the practice spread and began to affect economic activities, schools, and government offices.

In Anambra State, the sit-at-home significantly disrupted the school calendar, with many schools remaining closed on Mondays due to fear among parents, pupils, and teachers.

Education experts have warned that the situation has contributed to learning gaps, poor academic performance, and rising dropout rates among pupils, especially in public schools.

Concerned about the negative impact on education, the Anambra State Government decided to take firm steps to end the practice, at least as it affects schools.

On January 24, 2026, the Anambra State Government issued an Executive Order formally abolishing the closure of schools on Mondays due to sit-at-home.

The order made it clear that all public schools must open and operate fully on Mondays like other weekdays. It also warned that sanctions would be applied to any teacher or non-teaching staff who failed to comply.

Earlier, this directive had been conveyed in a letter dated January 22, 2026, and signed by the Board Secretary of ASUBEB, Mrs Loveline Mgbemena.

In the letter, the government stated that any teacher or non-tutorial staff who failed to report to work on Mondays would either receive only 20 per cent of their salary or forfeit their salary entirely.

The government said the measures were necessary to enforce discipline and protect the right of children to uninterrupted education.

One striking observation during the monitoring exercise was that teachers were present in most of the affected schools, even though pupils were largely absent.

This raised questions about whether headteachers had made enough effort to encourage parents and guardians to send their children to school or to reassure them about safety concerns.

Education officials said headteachers are expected to provide leadership, communicate government directives clearly to parents, and work with community leaders to ensure compliance.

“The presence of teachers alone is not enough,” an official said. “If pupils are not in school, learning cannot take place. Headteachers must take responsibility.”

The suspension of the headteachers has generated mixed reactions among residents of the affected communities.

Some parents welcomed the government’s action, saying it would help restore seriousness in the education system.

“Our children have lost too much time already,” said a parent in Idemili North. “If strong action is not taken, nothing will change.”

However, others argued that fear and insecurity remain a major reason why parents are still reluctant to send their children to school on Mondays.

A trader in Ogbaru said, “Government orders are good, but parents are still afraid. Until people feel completely safe, attendance may not improve overnight.”

Despite the concerns, the Anambra State Government has insisted that schools must remain open and that learning must continue.

Officials say the safety of pupils and teachers is being taken seriously, and that security agencies have been directed to maintain visible presence around schools.

The government also urged parents to cooperate and allow their children to return to school, stressing that education is too important to be sacrificed.

The suspension of the nine headteachers is widely seen as a warning to other school administrators across the state.

Education authorities say more monitoring visits will be carried out in the coming weeks, and further sanctions may follow if schools fail to comply with the government’s directive.

As Anambra pushes to restore normal school activities on Mondays, the government says it remains committed to ensuring that pupils receive quality education without interruption.

For now, the fate of the suspended headteachers serves as a clear message: the era of empty classrooms on Mondays is coming to an end.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *