El-Rufai Alleges Ribadu Ordered His Arrest, Claims Phone Was Tapped

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has alleged that the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, was directly involved in a directive to have him arrested.

El-Rufai made the claim during an interview on Arise News Channel on Friday evening. He said the alleged directive was uncovered through a tapped phone conversation, which he claimed was intercepted by his associates.

“Ribadu made the call because we listened to their calls,” El-Rufai said. “The government thinks that they’re the only ones that listen to calls. But we also have our ways. He made the call. He gave the order that they should arrest me.”

His comments have added a new twist to ongoing political tensions involving the former governor and federal agencies.

During the interview, El-Rufai admitted that tapping phone calls without legal approval is unlawful. However, he argued that such practices are common.

“Because that technically is illegal. I know, but the government does it all the time. They listen to our calls all the time without a court order. But someone tapped his phone and told us that he gave the order,” he said.

His statement raises serious legal and political questions, as Nigerian law requires security agencies to obtain court approval before intercepting private communications.

In Nigeria, the National Security Adviser plays a key role in coordinating the country’s security agencies. Ribadu, a former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), was appointed NSA by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in 2023.

El-Rufai did not provide evidence during the interview to support his claims. As of press time, there has been no official response from Ribadu to the allegations.

El-Rufai served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023. He was a strong voice within the All Progressives Congress (APC) and played a visible role during the 2023 general elections.

After leaving office, however, he has faced increased scrutiny from anti-corruption agencies.

El-Rufai also accused the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission of using the Department of State Services as a personal tool of Ribadu.

“Subsequently, we found out that it was the ICPC that procured the DSS… and this is a modus operandi of the ICPC that increasingly has become a personal tool of Nuhu Ribadu. Nuhu made the call and made the order,” he said.

The ICPC and DSS are both federal agencies. The ICPC investigates corruption and abuse of office, while the DSS handles internal security matters, including intelligence gathering and protection of public officials.

El-Rufai’s allegations suggest that the agencies acted based on instructions from the National Security Adviser. However, he did not present documents or recordings to back his claim during the interview.

The allegations come at a time when anti-corruption agencies have increased investigations into public officials, both past and present.

Despite criticizing the ICPC, El-Rufai commended the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for what he described as professionalism.

“But the EFCC, I think, has shown itself to be more professional in this particular instance. And on Monday, by the grace of God, I’ll go and see them,” he said.

The EFCC is Nigeria’s main anti-corruption agency and has investigated several high-profile political figures over the years.

El-Rufai did not disclose details of the EFCC’s invitation but indicated his willingness to cooperate.

During the interview, El-Rufai was also asked about the disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.

Dadiyata, a social media commentator, was abducted from his residence in Kaduna in August 2019. Since then, his whereabouts remain unknown, and the case has attracted national and international attention.

Human rights groups and civil society organisations have repeatedly called for a thorough investigation into his disappearance.

El-Rufai denied any involvement and rejected claims that his administration had a hand in the incident.

“Dadiyata lives in Kaduna; he was not a critic of Kaduna State. We barely knew he resided in Kaduna until his abduction was reported. He was a critic of the Kano government at the time,” he said.

He suggested that questions about the activist’s disappearance should be directed at political figures in Kano State rather than Kaduna.

The case of Dadiyata has remained unresolved for years. His family and supporters continue to demand answers from security agencies.

El-Rufai is known for his outspoken style and strong opinions. During his time as governor, he introduced reforms in education, infrastructure, and public service. However, his tenure was also marked by controversies, including security challenges in southern Kaduna and disputes with labour unions.

Since leaving office, he has remained active in national politics.

The latest allegations against the National Security Adviser could deepen political divisions within the ruling party and beyond.

As of now, there is no official investigation announced regarding El-Rufai’s claims.

As the situation unfolds, Nigerians will be watching closely for official responses and possible clarifications from the agencies involved.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *