Bandits Kill Scores, Burn Houses in Fresh Attack on Niger Communities

Suspected bandits have killed scores of residents and burnt several houses in a fresh wave of attacks on communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.

The attacks, which began on Friday and continued into Saturday, also led to the abduction of several villagers. Among the buildings set ablaze was a police outpost, raising concerns about the level of security in the affected areas.

Niger State, located in North-Central Nigeria, has in recent years faced repeated attacks by armed groups operating in forested and border communities. Borgu Local Government Area, which shares boundaries with neighbouring states and has vast rural settlements, has become one of the flashpoints for banditry.

According to local sources, the first attack occurred in Tunga-Makeri village on Friday night. Gunmen reportedly stormed the community in large numbers, shooting and setting houses on fire.

By Saturday morning, at least six residents had been confirmed dead in Tunga-Makeri.

The attackers were said to have moved freely through the village, meeting little resistance. Survivors said the gunmen fired shots to scare residents before carrying out the killings and arson.

After attacking Tunga-Makeri, the bandits reportedly advanced to Paso village on Saturday, where they continued their assault. Houses were again set on fire, and the violence spread to other nearby communities.

An eyewitness, Mohammed Ibrahim, described how the attackers moved from one village to another.

“They moved to another village called Pisa to carry out another operation,” he said. “Seven people have been slaughtered by the bandits in Konkoso. This is how they destroyed the Pissa police outpost. So far, 26 deaths have been recorded in the Konkoso bandit attack.”

Residents said the burning of the police outpost has left many villagers feeling exposed and unprotected. For many rural communities, a police post is often the only visible sign of government security presence.

The spokesman for the Niger State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed that security agencies had received reports of the attacks.

He stated that on February 14, 2026, at about 6 am, a report was received that suspected bandits invaded Tunga-Makeri village at about 3 am through Shafachi district in Borgu Local Government Area.

“During the attack, six people lost their lives,” he said. “Some houses were also set ablaze, and a yet-to-be ascertained number of persons were abducted, as the terrorists were also reported to have moved to Konkoso village. Other details are still sketchy.”

Security sources said a joint team of police, military personnel and other security agencies had been deployed to the area to assess the situation and begin rescue operations.

However, as of the time of filing this report, the exact number of abducted persons remained unclear.

Residents said many families have fled their homes for fear of further attacks. Some have reportedly taken refuge in neighbouring communities, while others are staying in the bush.

The latest attacks have once again highlighted the security challenges facing Niger State. Over the past few years, several local government areas in the state have witnessed killings, kidnappings and destruction of property by armed groups.

Communities in Shiroro, Rafi, Munya and parts of Borgu have repeatedly come under attack. The vast forests in the region are believed to provide hiding places for bandits, making it difficult for security forces to track them.

Local leaders have often called for stronger security presence and better equipment for law enforcement agencies. They have also urged the Federal Government to take more decisive action to address the root causes of banditry.

Many residents depend on farming and fishing for survival. Frequent attacks have disrupted farming activities, leading to fears of food shortages and economic hardship.

A community leader in Borgu, who asked not to be named, said the situation has become unbearable.

“Our people are tired of running from one place to another,” he said. “We cannot farm, we cannot sleep peacefully, and now our houses are being burnt.”

The destruction of homes has left many families without shelter. Women and children are among the most affected, as they are forced to seek safety in unfamiliar places.

In recent months, the Niger State Government has held several security meetings and promised to strengthen collaboration with federal security agencies. However, residents say more visible action is needed on the ground.

Meanwhile, the police spokesman assured that operations are ongoing in the affected communities.

He said security agencies are working to secure the area, recover abducted persons and prevent further attacks.

For the grieving families in Tunga-Makeri, Paso, Pisa and Konkoso, the focus is on burying their dead and rebuilding their lives. Many have lost loved ones, homes and property within a matter of hours.

As the sun set on the troubled communities, fear and uncertainty remained. Villagers say they are hoping for swift intervention from both state and federal authorities to restore peace.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *