Vice President Kashim Shettima will on Monday lead a Federal Government delegation to Kano State following the devastating fire that destroyed large parts of Singa Market over the weekend.
The visit comes after President Bola Tinubu directed top government officials to assess the situation and convey his condolences to traders who lost billions of naira in the inferno.
According to a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the delegation is also expected to pledge financial support on behalf of the Federal Government to assist affected traders and help the Kano State Government reopen the market as quickly as possible.
The fire started on Saturday evening and continued into the early hours of Sunday, causing widespread destruction. Witnesses said thick smoke covered the area as firefighters battled to contain the flames.
Singa Market, one of the major commercial centres in Kano, is known for the sale of textiles, household goods, and other items. The market serves thousands of traders and customers daily.
This latest incident is the second fire outbreak at the market within two weeks, raising serious concerns about safety and fire prevention measures in the area.
The chairman of the market, Junaid Zakari, said goods and property worth over N5 billion were destroyed. He added that more than 1,000 businesses were affected and seven persons were declared missing as of Sunday.
Zakari described the disaster as one of the worst tragedies in the history of the market. He also revealed that four residential buildings housing small-scale businesses were completely razed by the fire.
Members of the Federal Government delegation include the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas; Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin; and Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriations, Abubakar Kabir Bichi.
Also on the team are the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Bernard Doro, and the Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mrs Zubaida Umar.
The delegation is expected to meet with the Kano State Government, market leaders, and affected traders to assess the extent of the damage and discuss support measures.
President Tinubu had earlier spoken with Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, to express his sympathy and obtain a situation report. The President also ordered a comprehensive investigation into the repeated fire outbreaks at the market.
Governor Yusuf, during an assessment visit to the Gidan Gilas section of the market, appealed to the Federal Government to provide modern firefighting equipment, including air support.
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Sanusi Dawakin-Tofa, the governor said the second fire within weeks showed the urgent need to strengthen fire response capacity.
He said improved equipment would help contain fires faster and reduce the scale of destruction in major commercial centres across the country.
“This intervention will go a long way in enhancing the operational capacity of our fire services and minimising the scale of destruction recorded during such unfortunate incidents,” the statement read.
The governor also donated N100 million to affected traders to support their recovery. He urged residents and traders to remain calm and cooperate with emergency responders.
The tragedy has drawn reactions from political leaders and governors across the country.
The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Nentawe Yilwatda, visited the market alongside former Kano State Governor, Umar Ganduje, to sympathise with traders.
They interacted with victims, assessed the damage, and offered condolences on behalf of the party.
The Southern Governors’ Forum, led by Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, also expressed sympathy with the people of Kano State.
Abiodun described the incident as one of the most unfortunate tragedies in the history of the market. He said the destruction of residential buildings and small businesses was a heavy blow to many families who depend on daily trading for survival.
Similarly, the Northern States Governors’ Forum, chaired by Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Yahaya, described the fire as heartbreaking.
Yahaya noted that the recurrence of market fires across the North has continued to destroy livelihoods and push families into hardship.
Former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, also expressed deep sympathy, calling for urgent mobilisation of resources to support victims and prevent further losses.
Former Senate President, Bukola Saraki, called for a thorough investigation into the cause of the fire and practical steps to improve safety in markets nationwide.
Market fires are not new in Kano and other parts of Nigeria. In recent years, several major markets across the country have been destroyed by fire, often linked to electrical faults, poor wiring, storage of flammable materials, and overcrowding.
Singa Market itself has experienced previous incidents. In 2023, a fire outbreak caused significant damage. In November 2025, another inferno destroyed 44 shops, including 25 temporary structures and 19 permanent stores.
Traders often store goods in tightly packed spaces, which allows fire to spread quickly once it starts.
Stakeholders have called for stronger fire safety regulations, regular inspections, and improved emergency response systems.
They say beyond financial support for victims, authorities must address the root causes of repeated market fires. Suggestions include upgrading electrical systems, installing modern firefighting equipment, training traders on fire prevention, and enforcing building standards.
For now, many affected traders are counting their losses and hoping for quick assistance from both the Federal and Kano State Governments.
As Vice President Shettima leads the Federal delegation to Kano, expectations are high that the visit will bring not only sympathy but concrete steps to help victims rebuild their businesses and restore confidence in one of the state’s major commercial hubs.
The tragedy at Singa Market has once again highlighted the urgent need for improved fire safety across Nigeria’s busy markets, where thousands of families depend on daily trade for survival.

Leave a Reply