The Lagos State Government has launched efforts to locate and assist a young woman who appeared in a viral social media video narrating an alleged sexual assault at her residence.
The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed on Tuesday that it has begun an investigation into the incident and is working to identify and reach the survivor to provide immediate help.
In an official statement, the agency said it is taking urgent steps to ensure the woman receives protection, medical care, and psychological support.
“The Lagos State Government maintains a zero-tolerance stance against all forms of domestic and sexual violence,” the statement read. “Sexual assault is a crime, and every survivor deserves protection, care, support, and justice.”
The agency also appealed to members of the public who may have credible information about the woman’s whereabouts to contact the government through its verified communication channels.
The case gained public attention after a video began circulating on social media platforms. In the video, the young woman shared her experience, claiming she was assaulted in her home by someone she believed to be a neighbour.
According to her narration, she had been struggling with insomnia and was under the influence of substances at the time of the incident. She explained that this may have affected her ability to react quickly when the alleged attacker forced his way into her residence.
The woman said she opened her door thinking the person outside was a neighbour. She alleged that the intruder then pushed his way in, leading to a physical struggle and eventual assault. She described feeling traumatised after the incident.
The video sparked outrage among social media users, with many calling for swift action by the authorities and justice for the survivor.
Following the circulation of the video, the DSVA said it immediately began steps to trace the survivor in order to offer professional support services.
The agency stressed that once the woman is located, she will be provided with medical attention, counselling, and access to legal assistance if she chooses to pursue justice.
It also assured the public that all reports of sexual and domestic violence are treated with confidentiality and urgency.
“We encourage survivors to speak up and assure the public that reports are treated with utmost confidentiality and urgency,” the statement added.
The agency said it is working closely with relevant partners, including security agencies and health professionals, to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
Sexual violence remains a serious concern in Nigeria, including in Lagos State. In recent years, the state government has introduced measures to address the problem and strengthen support for survivors.
The DSVA was established to coordinate the response to domestic and sexual violence cases in Lagos. It provides support services such as legal guidance, shelter referrals, counselling, and coordination with law enforcement agencies.
Lagos State also operates special courts and task forces focused on handling sexual offences. The government has repeatedly stated that it will not tolerate any form of abuse.
Despite these efforts, many cases still go unreported due to fear, stigma, and lack of trust in the system. Advocacy groups say survivors often hesitate to come forward because they fear being blamed, shamed, or not believed.
The DSVA has urged members of the public to remain vigilant and to report any useful information that could help locate the survivor in the viral video.
Authorities believe that early intervention is important not only for the physical health of survivors but also for their emotional recovery. Medical care within a short time of assault can help preserve evidence and prevent infections or unwanted pregnancy.
Psychological support is also considered critical, as survivors may suffer from trauma, anxiety, depression, or fear after such incidents.
The agency stressed that sexual assault is a criminal offence under Nigerian law, and perpetrators, if found guilty, face severe penalties including imprisonment.
The incident also highlights a growing trend where survivors share their experiences online before reporting to authorities. Social media has become a space where many victims speak out, sometimes seeking support or raising awareness.
While online exposure can help bring attention to cases, experts warn that it is important for survivors to also seek professional help and report incidents through proper channels.
However, rights groups stress that the responsibility for assault lies solely with the perpetrator, not the victim. They warn against any form of victim-blaming.
“This is about holding offenders accountable,” a women’s rights advocate in Lagos said. “No one deserves to be assaulted, regardless of the circumstances.”
As of press time, the identity and location of the woman in the video had not been officially confirmed. The DSVA said efforts are ongoing to reach her and ensure she receives appropriate care.
Residents have been encouraged to share verified information directly with the agency rather than speculating online.
The Lagos State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting residents and ensuring justice for victims of sexual violence.
As the search continues, authorities say their priority remains clear — to find the survivor, ensure her safety, and provide the support she needs to recover and seek justice.
