back to top
More

    117 Repentant Terrorists Graduate from Operation Safe Corridor in Borno

    Share

    No fewer than 117 repentant terrorists from Borno State have completed the Disarmament, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) program under Operation Safe Corridor, as the Federal Government moves to expand the initiative to other parts of the country.

    The development was disclosed on Thursday during a high-level stakeholders’ meeting convened by Defence Headquarters at the Nigerian Army Resource Centre in Abuja. The meeting focused on finalising arrangements for transferring rehabilitated individuals to national and state authorities for reintegration into society.

    In a statement issued by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Samaila Uba, the Coordinator of Operation Safe Corridor, Brig. Gen. Y. Ali, said the 117 participants successfully completed the program at the Mallam Sidi Camp in Borno State.

    He described their graduation as a sign of improved coordination between federal and state governments in handling reception, monitoring and reintegration of former fighters.

    Operation Safe Corridor was launched in 2016 as part of Nigeria’s counter-insurgency strategy. The programme was designed to encourage low-risk Boko Haram members who surrender to lay down their arms, undergo rehabilitation and return to society as law-abiding citizens.

    Related Posts

    The Boko Haram insurgency, which began in 2009, has affected several states in the North-East, especially Borno State, Yobe State and Adamawa State. The conflict has led to thousands of deaths and displaced millions of people. Over the years, the military has recorded successes on the battlefield, forcing many fighters to surrender.

    Speaking at the meeting, Brig. Gen. Ali said the 117 graduates had undergone months of deradicalisation, vocational training, psychological counselling and religious reorientation. He said the programme aims to prepare them for peaceful living and productive engagement in their communities.

    “Providing operational updates, the Coordinator disclosed that 117 clients from Borno State have successfully completed the DRR process at Mallam Sidi Camp, reflecting strengthened federal–state harmonisation in reception, monitoring and community reintegration,” the statement said.

    Mallam Sidi Camp, located in Borno State, serves as a key centre for the programme. There, participants receive training in trades such as carpentry, tailoring, welding, farming and other skills meant to help them earn a living after reintegration.

    The Defence Headquarters also revealed that Operation Safe Corridor has been expanded to the North-West region. A DRR camp was established there in February last year as part of efforts to address insecurity linked to banditry and armed groups.

    According to Brig. Gen. Ali, the expansion marked a major step in stabilising affected areas. He added that discussions are ongoing with Zamfara State to strengthen the facility and align it with a broader framework that includes victim healing, psychosocial support, community reconciliation and structured monitoring.

    The North-West has in recent years faced serious security challenges, including bandit attacks, kidnappings and cattle rustling. States such as Zamfara, Katsina and Sokoto have recorded repeated violence, leading to calls for new approaches beyond military operations.

    In the North-Central region, the Benue State Government has formally requested the establishment of a DRR camp. Brig. Gen. Ali said Defence Headquarters had assessed proposed sites in the state and advised that they must meet national standards on infrastructure, security and sustainability before approval is granted.

    Benue State has also experienced insecurity, including clashes between farmers and herders, as well as attacks by armed groups. State officials believe a rehabilitation camp could help address the root causes of violence and support peace-building efforts.

    The stakeholders’ meeting was attended by representatives of several federal ministries, the Office of the National Security Adviser, state governments and neighbouring countries including Burkina Faso, Chad, Niger and Cameroon. International partners such as the International Committee of the Red Cross and the International Organization for Migration were also present, alongside representatives from Norway, the United Kingdom, the European Union and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.

    Related Posts

    Delivering the keynote address, the Chief of Defence Staff and Chairman of the Operation Safe Corridor National Steering Committee, General Olufemi Oluyede, who was represented by the Chief of Defence Operations, Maj. Gen. Jamal Abdusalam, said the programme remains an important part of Nigeria’s security structure.

    He explained that while military operations create space for peace, rehabilitation and reintegration are needed to maintain stability and prevent renewed violence.

    Nigeria’s counter-insurgency strategy now combines both force and dialogue. Military operations target active fighters, while Operation Safe Corridor provides a pathway for those who surrender willingly and are assessed as low-risk.

    The program has, however, generated mixed reactions among Nigerians. Some victims of insurgent attacks have expressed concern about accepting former fighters back into their communities. Others argue that without rehabilitation, the cycle of violence may continue.

    Government officials say strict screening and monitoring measures are in place to ensure that only eligible individuals benefit from the programme. They also stress that community engagement is key to successful reintegration.

    As the 117 graduates prepare to return to their communities in Borno State, attention will focus on how well the reintegration process works. Authorities say state governments will play a major role in monitoring and supporting them.

    With expansion plans underway in the North-West and possible new camps in the North-Central region, Operation Safe Corridor is gradually becoming a nationwide model for handling repentant fighters.

    For now, defence officials say the graduation of the 117 participants is a sign of progress in Nigeria’s broader effort to restore peace and rebuild communities affected by years of conflict.

    Read more

    Local News