back to top
More

    Ondo Amotekun Launches ‘Operation Le Won Jade,’ Nabs Suspected Kidnappers

    Share

    Operatives of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, widely known as the Amotekun Corps, have arrested several suspected kidnappers following a fierce gun battle inside a forest in the state. The suspects, believed to be linked to recent abductions along major roads in Ondo, were paraded on Thursday at the corps’ headquarters in Alagbaka, Akure.

    The commander of the corps, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, briefed journalists on the operation, which he said took place on Monday around 4:50 pm. According to him, the arrests were made during a special security exercise named Operation Le Won Jade, launched to improve border patrols and security surveillance as the country enters the “ember months,” a period often associated with increased criminal activity.

    Adeleye explained that the Amotekun operatives received a distress call that a commercial bus had been attacked inside a forested area of the state. He said the suspects, armed with automatic weapons, had forcibly stopped the bus, shot the driver, and abducted the passengers.

    “Our men moved immediately after we received the distress call,” he said. “But as they approached the location, the kidnappers opened heavy gunfire on them. We had to call for reinforcement, and additional operatives were deployed. Local security volunteers also joined the operation.”

    He said the gun duel lasted more than three hours, during which the operatives carefully advanced through the forest while ensuring the safety of the victims. By the end of the operation, four of the five kidnapped passengers had been rescued.

    Related Posts

    “Three women and the bus conductor were rescued. One of the women, who was shot by the attackers before our arrival, was stabilised at the Amotekun health facility,” Adeleye added. Sadly, the bus driver, who was shot when the attackers stopped the vehicle, died on the spot.

    Ondo State, like many parts of Nigeria, has faced increasing security challenges in recent years, especially cases of kidnapping for ransom along roads and farmlands. The rise in such incidents has placed extra pressure on security agencies, including Amotekun, which was created in 2020 to support the police and other federal security forces in tackling armed crime across the South-West.

    The Amotekun Corps, established by the governors of the six South-West states, was formed in response to widespread complaints about rising banditry, kidnapping, and farmer–herder clashes. While the corps is not a replacement for the police, it works closely with communities by using local knowledge of the terrain. This has made it especially effective in forest operations like the one carried out on Monday.

    Commander Adeleye noted that Operation Le Won Jade was introduced to strengthen security as the end of the year approaches. Past records show that criminal networks often increase their activities in the last months of the year, targeting travellers returning home for festivities or farmers working late on their farmlands.

    He said the new operation involves a combination of border patrols, forest surveillance, and joint raids with other security agencies. “We want to make Ondo State uncomfortable for criminals,” he said. “Our goal is to flush them out before they carry out their plans.”

    Residents of Ondo State have expressed mixed emotions in recent times. While many appreciate the efforts of Amotekun and other security bodies, fears about kidnapping remain high. Several local farmers have abandoned their farmlands in the past due to attacks by armed groups hiding inside forests.

    However, operations like this latest rescue bring renewed hope. A resident of Akoko, who followed the developments, said the swift response by Amotekun restored some confidence. “We hear of kidnappings too often, and it creates fear. But when you see that these people are arrested and victims are rescued, it gives some reassurance,” he said.

    Speaking further, Adeleye warned criminal groups that Ondo would no longer be a safe haven for them. He said the corps would continue to carry out routine patrols and respond swiftly to any threats.

    He also appealed to residents to remain vigilant and avoid unnecessary late-night travel, especially in isolated areas. He urged commercial drivers to report suspicious activities to security agencies promptly.

    “We are committed to protecting lives and property,” he said. “But security also requires cooperation from the people.”

    Related Posts

    As Ondo State prepares for the festive season, security remains a top priority for both the government and security bodies. With the successful arrests and rescue operation this week, the Amotekun Corps has once again shown the important role it plays in combating rural and highway crime.

    Read more

    Local News