A major twist has emerged in the controversy surrounding a disputed property in Wuse 2, Abuja, as five members of the Amakaeze family have openly distanced themselves from allegations made by their eldest brother, Rev. Chidiebere Amakaeze, against businessman and nightclub owner, Obi Cubana. In a series of videos circulating on social media, the siblings insisted that Cubana has never owed the family and has, in fact, supported them financially for years.
The development comes days after court officials executed an eviction order at Plot 81, Ademola Adetokunbo Crescent—formerly the site of Cubana Lounge—handing possession to businessman Collins Onwuzulike. Rev. Chidiebere had claimed he sold the property to Onwuzulike for ₦2 billion, a claim now strongly challenged by his own siblings.
Speaking on behalf of the family, Mr. Nwem Amakaeze, the second son, said his elder brother’s statements were misleading and did not reflect the position of the family. He explained that the property dispute was not between the family and Cubana, but rather an internal conflict created by Rev. Chidiebere.
“Let it be on record that Obi Cubana does not owe the Amakaeze family,” Nwem said. “We are six surviving children. Five of us are united; only our eldest brother chose to go his own way. Despite that, Obinna still pays him and even more.”
The property in question has been associated with Cubana Group for years, serving as one of the businessman’s major entertainment hubs in Abuja before its closure. The Cubana brand, founded by Obinna Iyiegbu, popularly known as Obi Cubana, is one of Nigeria’s most prominent hospitality and nightlife businesses with branches across major cities.
The property issue came into public focus after an eviction exercise on December 9, 2025, when court sheriffs sealed the premises and transferred possession to Mr. Onwuzulike, following claims that he bought the building. The eviction sparked widespread discussion online, with many arguing about whether Cubana was unlawfully occupying the place or whether the sale itself was disputed.
This latest intervention from the Amakaeze siblings adds another layer to the controversy, revealing deep divisions within the family over the ownership and administration of their late father’s assets.
In his statement, Nwem accused Rev. Chidiebere of misrepresenting himself as the sole surviving next-of-kin of their late father in 2018. He claimed that his brother swore an affidavit at a Federal High Court in Abuja to obtain a sole letter of administration over the property.
“In 2018, you came to the Abuja Federal High Court and swore an affidavit that you are the only surviving next of kin and son of Rev. Michael Nwobi Amakaeze,” Nwem said. “On that basis, you deceived the court to give you a sole letter of administration. That letter was even countered then. There is no need for sentiments.”
He described his brother’s actions as “wickedness of the highest order,” suggesting that the current crisis could have been avoided if proper family consultations had been carried out.
The siblings also accused Rev. Chidiebere of repeatedly creating tension around the property by filing petitions, making accusations, and allegedly instigating online attacks against Cubana.
“The problem is internal. For 10 years, I haven’t seen my brother. All he sends are threats and insults,” Nwem stated. He added that Cubana has shown commitment to ensuring fairness by insisting that any settlement must include all siblings and not just one person.
He quoted Cubana as saying, “I can settle today, but they need to have a share. I grew up with them; they are my friends, they are my family.”
According to the siblings, the businessman has consistently paid rents and met all his financial obligations as the caretaker of the Wuse 2 property. They said he should not be portrayed as someone trying to take advantage of the family.
In a separate video, their elder sister, Adaolisa Amakaeze, also defended the nightlife entrepreneur. She said Cubana had been responsible and supportive over the years, and the family had no complaint against him.
According to her, “Obi has taken care of us. He has paid rent. He is not owing anything. He should not be forced out on grounds that do not reflect the truth.”
Her statement reinforced the position already presented by Nwem, making it clear that the family, except for the eldest brother, does not support the allegations against Cubana.
One of the major claims made by Rev. Chidiebere is that he sold the property to Mr. Onwuzulike for ₦2 billion. This claim formed the basis for the court enforcement action earlier in December. However, the siblings now argue that their brother acted alone without the consent of the rest of the family.
They insist that since they are all heirs, any sale of family property must involve all members and be executed in the open. According to them, the purported sale is questionable since it was carried out under a disputed letter of administration allegedly obtained through false representation.
Property lawyers familiar with inheritance disputes note that such conflicts are common when multiple heirs are involved, especially when one person attempts to administer an estate without the knowledge or support of others. The Amakaeze case appears to follow this pattern, with competing claims of ownership and rising tensions between family members.
While the siblings have publicly defended him, Obi Cubana has not issued a detailed statement on the matter. However, sources close to him say he intends to resolve the dispute amicably, as he has had a long-standing relationship with the family dating back many years.
The Cubana Group, known for its luxury nightlife businesses, hospitality ventures, and real estate interests, has faced other property-related disputes in the past, but most were resolved quietly. This case has gained more attention because of the family’s public disagreement and the viral nature of the videos.
The Amakaeze siblings’ remarks have made it clear that the real dispute lies within their own family. They argue that Cubana has been unfairly dragged into a conflict caused by their eldest brother’s actions.
As the controversy continues to unfold, questions remain about the validity of the purported 2018 letter of administration, the legality of the ₦2 billion sale, and whether the eviction order was based on complete and accurate information.
For now, the siblings say their focus is on correcting what they call “false narratives” and protecting the family’s long-term interests. They maintain that Cubana has acted in good faith and deserves no blame for the crisis.
With the matter now public and legal issues in motion, the dispute over the Wuse 2 property is expected to continue generating attention in the coming weeks as more details emerge.
