Kano Killings: Nephew Among Suspects as Police Crack Murder of Woman, Six Children

0
72

The Kano State Police Command has arrested three suspects believed to be behind the brutal killing of a housewife and her six children in Dorayi Chiranchi Quarters, Kano. The tragic incident, which occurred on January 17, 2026, shocked residents of the area and sparked widespread outrage across the state.

The arrest followed what the police described as a carefully planned intelligence-led operation aimed at tracking down those responsible for the gruesome crime. According to the police, the suspects were apprehended after hours of surveillance and coordinated raids in different parts of Kano metropolis.

The spokesperson of the Kano State Police Command, CSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, disclosed the development in a statement issued on Sunday. He said the arrests were carried out following clear directives from the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, who ordered the immediate identification and arrest of all those involved in the killing.

Kiyawa explained that the operation was carried out under the leadership of the Commissioner of Police in Kano State, CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori. A team of experienced detectives, drawn from different tactical units, was assigned to the case to ensure a quick and thorough investigation.

Advertisement

The suspects arrested were identified as Umar Auwalu, 23, of Sabuwar Gandu Quarters, Kano; Isyaku Yakubu, also known as “Chebe,” 40, of Sagagi Quarters, Kano; and Yakubu Abdulaziz, also known as “Wawo,” 21, of Sabon Gida Sharada Quarters, Kano.

According to the police, the suspects were arrested during a sting operation that began around 10:00 pm on January 17 and lasted until about 4:00 am on January 18, 2026. The police said the timing of the operation was carefully chosen to prevent the suspects from escaping or destroying evidence.

One of the most disturbing revelations from the investigation was that the alleged leader of the group, Umar Auwalu, is a nephew of the murdered housewife. Police said Auwalu confessed to planning and carrying out the attack alongside the other suspects.

“The leader of the syndicate, Umar Auwalu, confessed to the crime,” CSP Kiyawa said. “He also admitted that the same group has carried out a series of gruesome killings and violent attacks in the recent past, including the killing and burning of two housewives in Tudun Yola Quarters, Kano.”

The January 17 attack in Dorayi Chiranchi reportedly took place late at night. Neighbours said they were alerted after hearing unusual noises from the house. By the time help arrived, the victims had already been killed. The incident left the community in shock, with many residents describing it as one of the most horrific crimes they had witnessed.

The victims included a middle-aged woman and her six children, all of whom were said to be of school age. The killing of the children, in particular, sparked anger and sadness among residents and civil society groups, who called on the police to ensure that justice was served.

Following the incident, the Kano State Police Command launched an intensive manhunt for the perpetrators. Roadblocks were mounted, and intelligence officers were deployed across known criminal hideouts within and outside the state. The police also appealed to members of the public to provide useful information that could lead to the arrest of the suspects.

During the arrest, police recovered several items believed to have been used during the attack. CSP Kiyawa said the recovered items included four pieces of clothing stained with blood, two mobile phones belonging to the deceased woman, a cutlass, a wooden club locally known as “gora,” and some amount of money allegedly taken from the victims.

The police also said other dangerous weapons were recovered from the suspects, adding weight to the allegation that the group was involved in violent crimes beyond the Dorayi incident.

Residents of Dorayi Chiranchi Quarters have expressed relief following the arrests. Many said they had been living in fear since the killings, worried that the attackers might strike again. Community leaders praised the police for acting swiftly and bringing the suspects to book.

The Kano State Police Command commended its officers for their professionalism and dedication during the operation. CSP Kiyawa also thanked members of the public for their prayers, cooperation and support throughout the investigation.

“The Police Command commends the efforts of the officers involved in the operation and the members of the public for their support and encouragement,” he said. “We assure the public of our commitment to bringing all perpetrators of crime to justice.”

He added that the suspects are currently in police custody and will be charged to court after the completion of investigations. The police also said further arrests may be made as investigations continue, especially in relation to other crimes the suspects allegedly confessed to.

The Inspector-General of Police has repeatedly stressed the need for swift justice in cases involving violent crimes, especially those affecting vulnerable groups such as women and children. He has also directed commands across the country to strengthen intelligence gathering and community policing.

As Kano residents mourn the loss of the mother and her six children, many are calling for stronger measures to prevent such crimes in the future. Religious leaders, traditional rulers and civil society organisations have urged families and communities to speak up early when they notice signs of conflict or criminal behaviour.

For now, the arrests have brought a measure of relief to a grieving community. However, the painful memory of the Dorayi Chiranchi killings remains a stark reminder of the impact of violent crime and the need for continued vigilance and justice.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here