The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has killed more than 40 terrorists during coordinated air operations in Azir and Musarram areas of Borno State, dealing a fresh blow to insurgent groups operating in the North-East.
The airstrikes were carried out on January 15 and 16 by the Air Component of Operation HADIN KAI, following credible intelligence and in close coordination with ground troops fighting insurgents in the area. The operations targeted terrorists linked to Boko Haram and its breakaway faction, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
The Director of Public Relations and Information of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame, disclosed this in a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja. He said the successful missions showed the growing impact of intelligence-led air power in the ongoing fight against terrorism.
According to Ejodame, NAF aircraft responded swiftly in the early hours of January 16 after ground troops came under attack while engaging terrorists withdrawing from Azir, a community in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State.
He explained that after receiving a distress call from the troops, air assets were immediately deployed to the area to provide close air support. Further reconnaissance revealed that the fleeing terrorists were attempting to regroup under nearby tree cover, possibly to launch another attack.
“The aircrew identified the targets and carried out precise and successive airstrikes, which neutralised several terrorists,” Ejodame said.
He added that a post-strike assessment showed no further threats in the area. Feedback from ground troops, local authorities, and community members also confirmed that the terrorist presence had been significantly reduced, allowing relative calm to return to the area.
The second operation took place on January 15 in Musarram, located in the Tumbuns general area of Borno State. The Tumbuns, a vast marshy region around Lake Chad, has long served as a hideout and transit route for Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters.
Ejodame said intelligence reports revealed that terrorists were gathering at Musarram and assembling on canoes, likely preparing to launch attacks along the Baga and Fish Dam axis. These areas are strategic fishing and farming communities that have suffered repeated attacks over the years.
“On arrival at the target area, the aircraft sighted about 10 canoes carrying over 40 suspected terrorists,” he said. “The terrorists were engaged in multiple passes, throwing them into disarray.”
He noted that some of the terrorists attempted to flee, but were tracked and neutralised by the aircraft. Others who regrouped at an assembly point were also attacked, effectively dismantling the terrorist formation.
Military sources said the operation disrupted planned attacks that could have caused serious harm to civilians and security personnel in the area.
Reacting to the success of the operations, the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sunday Aneke, reaffirmed the Nigerian Air Force’s commitment to supporting ground troops with timely and decisive air power.
Aneke said the operations showed the value of accurate intelligence, strong coordination between air and ground forces, and the professionalism of NAF personnel.
“These operations underscore the effectiveness of intelligence-led air power and close air-ground coordination in denying terrorists freedom of action,” he said.
He assured Nigerians that the Armed Forces of Nigeria would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist groups until their ability to threaten lives and property is fully degraded.
Azir and Musarram, both in Damboa Local Government Area, have remained hotspots of insurgent activity for many years. Damboa lies along key routes used by terrorists moving between Sambisa Forest, the Tumbuns, and other parts of southern Borno.
Boko Haram, which started its violent campaign in 2009, has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions across Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states. Although the group has weakened over the years due to sustained military operations, splinter factions like ISWAP have continued to pose serious security challenges, especially around Lake Chad and border communities.
Operation HADIN KAI is the military’s main counter-insurgency operation in the North-East. It involves the Nigerian Army, Air Force, Navy, and other security agencies working together to protect civilians, destroy terrorist camps, and restore government authority in affected areas.
In recent months, the military has stepped up both air and ground operations, targeting terrorist leaders, logistics routes, and hideouts. The use of air power has been particularly important in hard-to-reach areas like forests, islands, and marshlands where terrorists often take cover.
Residents of communities affected by the latest airstrikes expressed cautious relief. Some local sources said the reduction in terrorist activity could allow farmers and fishermen to return to their livelihoods, which have been badly disrupted by years of violence.
The federal government has repeatedly stated its commitment to ending the insurgency and rebuilding the North-East. Programmes aimed at resettling displaced persons, rebuilding infrastructure, and supporting local economies are ongoing, though challenges remain.

Leave a Reply