The National Industrial Court sitting in Abuja has restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress (TUC), and three other labour leaders from embarking on any form of protest or industrial action in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The court order was issued on Monday by Justice Emmanuel Subilim following an ex parte application filed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA).
The order restrains the NLC and TUC, as well as the spokesperson of the NLC, Benson Upah; the General Secretary of the TUC, Nuhu Toro; and the Chairman of the FCT chapter of the NLC, Stephen Knabayi.
The application, dated February 2, 2026, was brought under a suit marked NICN/ABJ/30/26 and filed on behalf of the FCT Minister and the FCTA by senior lawyer James Onoja, SAN.
After listening to the submissions of the claimants, Justice Subilim granted an interim order restraining the respondents, their agents, or anyone acting on their behalf from embarking on any strike, protest, or industrial action in Abuja. The order will remain in force pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.
The judge also directed security agencies listed as defendants in the suit to ensure there is no breakdown of law and order in the nation’s capital. He said security agencies must act within the law to protect lives, property, and public infrastructure.
The matter was adjourned until February 10, 2026, for the hearing of the motion on notice.
The court action followed plans by organised labour to stage a mass protest in Abuja on February 3. According to the claimants, the Chairman of the FCT Council of the NLC had circulated a mobilisation message calling on workers and affiliated unions to participate in the protest.
The FCT Minister and the FCTA told the court that the planned protest violated existing court orders that had earlier restrained labour unions from embarking on industrial action.
They informed the court that an interlocutory injunction had already been granted on January 27, 2026, in a related suit. According to them, the order restrained the Joint Unions Action Committee (JUAC) and its affiliated unions from continuing any strike action and directed workers to resume duty.
The claimants said the order was served on the defendants on the same day it was issued. However, instead of complying, they alleged that the NLC and TUC directed their members to intensify and sustain the strike.
They said the labour unions justified their action by claiming that their lawyer, Femi Falana, SAN, had filed an appeal against the interlocutory ruling.
In an affidavit in support of the application, the claimants stated that workers under the FCTA, acting through the Joint Unions Action Committee, began an industrial action on January 19, 2026.
According to the affidavit, the workers locked the entrances to offices and the secretariat of the FCTA. Schools were closed, and activities across departments and agencies of the FCTA were shut down, bringing government operations in Abuja to a standstill.
The claimants said that as law-abiding authorities, they approached the National Industrial Court in Abuja in Suit No: NICN/ABJ/17/2026. In that case, the court granted an interlocutory injunction on January 27, 2026, restraining the unions from further industrial action and ordering workers to return to work pending the determination of the main case.
They alleged that despite being served with the court order, the NLC, acting through its spokesperson, issued a directive titled “Reinforcement Directive to All Affiliate Unions in the FCT,” urging workers to resume the strike.
The affidavit further stated that on January 28, 2026, the NLC and TUC jointly issued another directive titled “Defend Your Rights With Courage and Dignity: We Are With You.” The claimants said this directive openly encouraged workers to continue the strike and disregard the court order.
They added that the Joint Unions Action Committee followed up with a circular dated January 28, 2026, signed by its secretary, Comrade Abdullahi Umar Saleh, directing workers to remain on strike.
According to the claimants, the situation escalated on January 31, 2026, when the Chairman of the FCT Council of the NLC issued a mobilisation directive calling for a mass protest in Abuja on February 3 by 7:00 a.m.
The FCT Minister and the FCTA told the court that the planned protest posed a serious threat to peace and public order in the capital city. They said it could lead to traffic obstruction, disruption of commercial activities, and violation of the rights of residents.
They also expressed concern for private sector workers, expatriates, diplomats, and tourists who could be affected by a shutdown of the city.
Labour unions in Nigeria have a long history of using strikes and protests to press home their demands, especially on issues related to wages, welfare, and working conditions. However, courts have increasingly intervened when such actions are seen as violating existing laws or court orders.
The FCT, as the seat of the Federal Government, is considered a sensitive area where disruptions can have national and international implications. This is why authorities often seek court orders to restrict protests that may affect security and public order.
As the matter awaits further hearing on February 10, all eyes will be on whether labour unions will comply fully with the court’s directive and how the dispute between the FCTA and organised labour will be resolved.
For now, the National Industrial Court has made it clear that no protest or industrial action should take place in the Federal Capital Territory until the court decides otherwise.
