A massive fire has destroyed properties worth more than N5 billion at Singer Market in Kano State, leaving seven persons feared missing and over 1,000 businesses affected.
The Chairman of the market, Junaid Zakari, disclosed this in Kano on Sunday, describing the incident as one of the worst tragedies in the history of the popular market.
Singer Market, located in the commercial city of Kano, is known for the sale of industrial sewing machines, spare parts, building materials and other goods. The market serves customers from across northern Nigeria and neighbouring countries. It is one of the key trading hubs in the state and supports thousands of families.
According to Zakari, four residential buildings that also housed small-scale businesses were completely razed by the fire. He said goods, equipment and other valuables were burnt beyond recognition, leaving many traders stranded.
“As of now, seven persons have been declared missing,” Zakari said. “We are still investigating to know their whereabouts and confirm whether they are alive or dead.”
He added that emergency responders and security agencies were at the scene to help put out the fire and begin investigations into the cause of the incident.
The Kano State Fire Service and other emergency officials battled for hours to control the inferno. However, by the time the fire was put out, large sections of the market had already been reduced to ashes.
Authorities are yet to officially determine what caused the fire. Some traders suspect an electrical fault, while others believe it may have started in one of the residential buildings before spreading rapidly to nearby shops.
As the smoke cleared, traders at Singer Market were seen searching through the rubble, hoping to recover any items that survived the blaze. Many wept openly as they looked at the remains of their shops.
Zakari said more than 1,000 businesses were affected by the disaster. He explained that the market is home to small and medium-scale enterprises that depend on daily sales for survival.
“This tragedy has crippled the livelihoods of hundreds of families,” he said. “Many of our members have lost everything they worked for over the years.”
One of the affected traders, Isa Abubakar, said he lost goods worth over N200 million. Standing beside the burnt remains of his shop, he struggled to hold back tears.
“From God we come, and to Him we shall return,” he said. “It is heartbreaking to see goods worth billions of naira destroyed by fire.”
Another trader, Musa Ibrahim, said his losses were even higher. According to him, goods valued at over N340 million were consumed by the flames.
“The fire consumed everything we had,” Ibrahim lamented. “We do not know where to start from.”
Singer Market has experienced minor fire incidents in the past, but traders say none has been as devastating as this. The market plays a major role in Kano’s economy. Kano, historically known as a centre of commerce in northern Nigeria, depends heavily on its markets for revenue and employment.
Many traders in Singer Market deal in imported goods, often purchased with loans. With the sudden loss of their shops and wares, some fear they may struggle to repay debts owed to banks and suppliers.
Community leaders have begun calling for urgent assistance from the government, private organisations and well-meaning Nigerians to help victims get back on their feet.
In a show of solidarity, the Governor of Kano State, Abba Kabir Yusuf, visited the market while the fire was still raging.
Zakari commended the governor for the swift response, saying it demonstrated concern for the victims.
“We appreciate the governor for coming here in person. It shows that he feels our pain,” the market chairman said.
Witnesses said the governor went round the affected areas and spoke with traders and emergency officials. Although no official statement has been released on compensation, traders expressed hope that the state government would provide relief materials or financial assistance.
Market fires are not new in Nigeria. In recent years, several major markets across the country have suffered similar incidents, often linked to poor electrical wiring, storage of flammable materials and lack of modern firefighting equipment.
For now, the focus remains on finding the seven persons declared missing. Security agencies have assured the public that investigations are ongoing.
As affected traders begin the difficult task of rebuilding their lives, many say the tragedy will remain in their memories for years to come.
“This is a disaster we will never forget,” Zakari said. “We pray for the missing persons and ask for support from the government and the public so our people can start again.”
The full impact of the fire may take weeks to assess, but for the thousands of traders and families connected to Singer Market, the road to recovery has just begun.
