A Major in the Nigerian Army, three soldiers and a local hunter have been killed in a fresh attack by Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State.
The incident occurred on Sunday night at a Forward Operations Base (FOB) in Mayanti, Bama Local Government Area. Security sources confirmed that the insurgents carried out a coordinated assault on the military position, leading to heavy casualties and destruction.
The slain officer was identified as Major IU Mairiga, who was the commander of the unit stationed at the base.
According to a security source, the attack happened late at night when the terrorists stormed the base in large numbers.
The source said Major Mairiga put up a strong resistance against the attackers. He was said to have fought bravely and neutralised several insurgents before he was eventually overpowered.
“The unit commander gave the terrorists a good fight, but he was overwhelmed after some soldiers fled. He died a brave soldier and neutralised many of them before he was overpowered,” the source said.
Three other soldiers were also killed during the attack. A local hunter who was assisting the troops in the area was among the casualties.
The source added that when reinforcement troops later arrived at the scene, they recovered several weapons left behind by the attackers. These included Rocket-Propelled Grenades (RPGs), anti-aircraft weapons and PKT machine guns.
Several bodies of suspected terrorists were reportedly seen around the area after the exchange of gunfire.
“If not for the withdrawal of some of his men, he would have successfully repelled the attack,” the source said.
The attack also left three civilians injured. The civilians were said to be working on reconstruction projects in the village when they were caught in the crossfire.
Military vehicles and equipment at the base were set on fire during the assault.
Borno State has been the centre of the Boko Haram insurgency for over a decade. The extremist group began its violent campaign in 2009, attacking security forces, government institutions and civilians.
The conflict has led to the death of thousands of people and displaced millions, especially in the North-East region. Many communities in Borno have been destroyed, and several residents have been forced to live in camps for internally displaced persons.
Over the years, the Nigerian military has launched several operations to weaken the insurgents and reclaim territories. While many areas have been recovered, attacks on military formations and villages still occur from time to time.
Bama Local Government Area, where the latest attack took place, has experienced repeated violence in the past. The area is close to the Sambisa forest, which has long been known as a hideout for insurgents.
Sources disclosed that Major Mairiga had been deployed to the Mayanti base less than four months ago following a special promotion.
His death has been described by colleagues as a major loss to the military. Officers who spoke on condition of anonymity said he was known for his courage and commitment to duty.
The Nigerian Army has not yet released an official statement on the attack as of the time of filing this report. However, military authorities have repeatedly assured Nigerians that efforts are ongoing to defeat insurgency in the North-East.
In recent months, the military has stepped up air and ground operations against Boko Haram and its rival faction, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). Both groups have carried out attacks on troops and civilians in parts of Borno and neighbouring states.
Despite these challenges, the government has maintained that significant progress has been made compared to the early years of the insurgency, when large territories were under the control of terrorists.
Residents of Bama and nearby communities continue to express concern about security, especially as rebuilding efforts are ongoing in many areas.
Community leaders have called on the Federal Government to strengthen security presence in vulnerable villages and provide better protection for civilians working on reconstruction projects.
As the country mourns the loss of the officer, soldiers and the hunter, attention is once again focused on the need for sustained efforts to end insurgency in the North-East.
For families of the fallen personnel, the attack is another painful reminder of the sacrifices made by members of the armed forces in the fight to secure the nation.
