The Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday adjourned the alleged N8.7 billion money laundering trial involving former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, to June 23, 2026.
Malami is standing trial alongside his wife, Hajia Bashir Asabe, and his son, Abubakar Abdulaziz Malami, over allegations of conspiracy, concealment, procurement and laundering of funds said to be proceeds of unlawful activities.
The trio are being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on a 16-count charge bordering on alleged financial crimes involving N8,713,923,759.49.
The anti-graft agency accused the defendants of violating provisions of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.
At Friday’s proceedings, prosecution counsel, J.S. Okutepa, SAN, informed the court that the matter was fixed for continuation of trial. However, he said the defence team had submitted a letter requesting an adjournment.
Okutepa told the court that although the prosecution did not oppose the request, it was necessary to remind the court that several adjournments had earlier been granted at the request of the defence.
According to him, the prosecution was ready to continue with the case but would leave the decision to the court in the interest of justice.
In her ruling, trial judge, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, noted that the absence of the lead defence counsel should not normally stop proceedings since other lawyers from the same chambers were present in court and could handle the matter.
The judge, however, said the court would allow the request in the interest of fair hearing, adding that the defence still had adjournment allowances available under the law.
Justice Abdulmalik subsequently adjourned the matter till June 23, 2026, for continuation of trial.
The case is one of the major corruption-related trials involving a former top official of the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.
Malami served as Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice from 2015 to 2023. During his time in office, he played a central role in several major legal and political matters handled by the Federal Government, including high-profile corruption cases, extradition matters and constitutional disputes.
Since leaving office, the former minister has remained a prominent political figure, especially in Kebbi State politics and within the ruling All Progressives Congress.
The charges against him and members of his family marked a major development in the Federal Government’s anti-corruption campaign, as critics and supporters closely watch the proceedings.
According to court documents earlier filed by the EFCC, the commission alleged that large sums of money linked to unlawful activities were concealed and moved through different channels.
The anti-graft agency also accused the defendants of engaging in transactions believed to be in breach of Nigeria’s money laundering laws.
However, the defendants have denied all allegations brought against them.
Friday’s adjournment is the latest in a series of delays that have slowed the pace of the trial since proceedings began.
Although adjournments are common in criminal trials, especially in high-profile matters involving senior lawyers and multiple defendants, some observers believe prolonged delays could affect public confidence in the justice system.
Others, however, insist that every defendant is entitled to adequate legal representation and fair hearing under the Nigerian Constitution.
The EFCC has repeatedly stated that it remains committed to prosecuting corruption and financial crimes regardless of the status of those involved.
Over the years, the commission has filed charges against several former governors, ministers, lawmakers and senior government officials accused of corruption, abuse of office and money laundering.
The case against Malami and his family is expected to continue on June 23 when the prosecution is likely to proceed with the presentation of witnesses and evidence before the court.
