back to top
More

    Yahaya Bello: Drama, Shootings As EFCC Besieges Kogi Governor’s Lodge

    Share

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) engaged in a tense standoff with security personnel attached to the Kogi State Government Lodge in Asokoro, Abuja, late into the evening of September 18.

    The incident centered around an attempt by EFCC operatives to arrest Yahaya Bello, the immediate past governor of Kogi State.

    According to reports, the EFCC surrounded the premises in what was described as a forceful effort to remove Bello from the lodge.

    Sporadic gunfire was reported during the standoff, causing panic in the surrounding area.

    The media office of Yahaya Bello confirmed the incident in a statement released by Ohiare Michael, Director of Media, on behalf of the former governor.

    Related Posts

    Michael claimed that EFCC operatives were responsible for the confrontation and should be held accountable for any harm that befalls Bello.

    “It has come to our notice that people suspected to be operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, are currently around the Kogi Government Lodge, Asokoro, in an attempt to forcefully arrest former Governor Yahaya Bello,” the statement read.

    The statement further alleged that the EFCC had previously instructed Bello to return to their office at a later date for further discussions.

    However, despite this agreement, EFCC operatives laid siege to the government lodge in an apparent ambush, sparking fears of a politically motivated attack.

    The media team condemned the EFCC’s approach, describing it as a “gestapo-like” action reminiscent of oppressive regimes.

    “The Commission told him to leave and come at a later date, only to mount a gestapo-like attack on the Kogi State Government facility in Asokoro,” the statement added.

    Michael emphasized that Bello had cooperated fully with the EFCC and had already made himself available for questioning earlier in the day.

    According to him, no significant issues were raised by the EFCC during the earlier session.

    Despite this, the sudden evening raid came as a shock, leading to accusations that the anti-graft body might be waging a political battle rather than a genuine anti-corruption fight.

    “This action is condemnable. They have displayed the very reason many Nigerians believe they were fighting political battles instead of the mandate to fight corruption,” the statement read.

    Related Posts

    The media office suggested that the EFCC’s tactics were inappropriate and disproportionate, claiming that the raid went beyond the usual approach for corruption investigations.

    Michael’s statement continued, “This action reflects much more than the fight against corruption.”

    The EFCC has been investigating various allegations linked to Bello, including claims of financial irregularities and misappropriation of state funds.

    Bello, who completed his term as governor earlier this year, has repeatedly denied the allegations, insisting that he managed the state’s resources responsibly and transparently.

    Bello’s media office also accused the EFCC of inconsistency, questioning why the agency would request his presence earlier in the day only to launch an aggressive raid later in the evening.

    “The former Governor made himself available to the EFCC in their office for interrogation. The EFCC had no question to ask Alhaji Yahaya Bello in the morning, but suddenly, they are out to arrest him,” the statement said.

    Read more

    Local News