A renowned Nigerian public speaker, Fela Durotoye, has clarified his brief stint in President Bola Tinubu’s administration, revealing he worked without receiving a salary or allowances.
The revelation comes amid social media debates over the cost of governance following the president’s recent appointments of media aides.
Setting the Record Straight
In October 2023, President Tinubu appointed Durotoye as the Senior Special Assistant on National Values and Social Justice.
This role, according to Durotoye, lasted only six months and ended in March 2024.
The public discourse was triggered by a viral list naming 13 individuals as part of the president’s media team, with Durotoye included.
Durotoye, however, issued an opinion piece on Monday, disputing claims that he was still part of Tinubu’s media team.
“My appointment as Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Values and Social Justice concluded in March 2024,” he said.
Service Without Pay
Durotoye revealed that he worked entirely pro bono during his time in the administration.
“When I was invited to serve, I expressed, as a condition, my desire not to receive a salary,” he stated.
“I saw this as my service to the nation.”
The public speaker emphasized that his decision was a personal commitment to contribute to Nigeria’s development without burdening the government financially.
Personal Sacrifices
Durotoye disclosed the extent of his sacrifices during his six-month tenure.
“I rented my apartment and drove my personal car to Abuja,” he explained.
“All utility costs, fuel expenses, and upkeep were covered by me and my family.”
He added that he did not request or accept reimbursements for any expenses incurred in the course of his duties.
“This was a choice my family and I made, knowing the importance of the work at hand,” he said.
Public Reaction to the Appointments
Durotoye’s statement came amid growing criticism of President Tinubu’s recent appointments, particularly concerning the alleged size of the media team.
Last week, Daniel Bwala was announced as Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Public Communications and Media.
The announcement sparked outrage among Nigerians on social media, who questioned the cost implications of appointing multiple media aides.
Some users accused the president of failing to consider economic realities while making such decisions.
Durotoye addressed the tendency for social commentary to overgeneralize and spread misinformation.
He described the viral list that included his name as an outdated document.
“Social commentary often leads to broad assumptions, which can result in errors of misstatements and misinformation,” he said.
He called for accuracy in public discourse, particularly on sensitive matters such as governance.
Durotoye’s decision to work without pay has drawn mixed reactions.
While some praised him for his selflessness, others questioned why he accepted the role under such conditions.
