Tragedy in Bukkuyum as Blast Kills Five, Abducted LG Vice Chairman Found Dead

0
188

Zamfara State was thrown into mourning on Wednesday after an explosion along the Gurusu–Gwashi road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area killed five people. Governor Dauda Lawal described the incident as “senseless” and blamed armed bandits for planting the explosive device that caused the deaths.

The governor made the statement on his official Facebook page, where he expressed deep sadness over the tragedy and called it another reminder of the growing insecurity affecting many parts of the state. He also sent his condolences to the families of the victims and prayed for the peaceful repose of their souls.

Residents of the area said the explosion occurred on a route frequently used by farmers, traders, and travellers. The Gurusu–Gwashi road connects several communities in Bukkuyum, one of the local government areas in Zamfara that has suffered repeated bandit attacks in recent years. The news of the blast spread quickly across the state, causing fear and shock among residents who have grown increasingly worried about their safety.

In the same message, Governor Lawal also expressed grief over the killing of Mu’azu Gwashi, the Vice Chairman of Bukkuyum Local Government Area. The LG official had been in captivity for more than six months after being kidnapped earlier this year by suspected bandits.

Advertisement

According to available information, Gwashi’s abductors initially demanded a ransom of ₦30 million. The family was reportedly able to raise and pay ₦15 million. Despite receiving the money, the kidnappers still killed the vice chairman, leaving his community devastated.

Related Posts

Governor Lawal described the killing as “heartbreaking and unfair,” noting that the late local government official was a dedicated leader who worked hard for his community. The governor said the government would continue to work towards tackling banditry and giving citizens the security they deserve.

Zamfara State has been one of the hardest-hit states in Nigeria’s north-west, where armed banditry has become a major security threat over the last decade. Many communities have suffered attacks involving kidnapping for ransom, killings, arson, and destruction of farmlands.

Bukkuyum, Anka, Zurmi, Maru, and Shinkafi LGAs are among the areas that have recorded repeated attacks. The insecurity has displaced thousands of people, forced schools to shut down, and affected farming activities, which is the main occupation for most residents.

The planting of explosives, such as the one used in the latest attack, is not new but has become more common in the last three years. Security experts say some bandits now use crude explosive devices to target security patrols or community vigilante groups, though innocent civilians often become victims.

The federal and state governments have made several attempts to tackle the problem, including military operations, peace dialogues, and partnerships with local communities. However, many residents believe more needs to be done to permanently address the crisis.

Following the explosion, many residents in Bukkuyum and nearby communities said the latest killing has deepened their fear. Some community members said the road where the blast took place had been considered relatively safe in recent months, making the incident even more shocking.

A trader in Gwashi town said, “People are now afraid to travel. If explosives can be planted on the road, it means anybody could be the next victim. We are living in fear every day.”

Some residents also expressed pain over the killing of the vice chairman, saying his death shows that paying ransom does not guarantee safety. They called on the state government and security agencies to strengthen efforts against banditry.

Governor Lawal, who has repeatedly spoken about the need for stronger security in Zamfara, said the state government remains committed to working with federal security agencies to restore peace. He explained that his administration has been supporting security operations and investing in technology, logistics, and intelligence-gathering to fight criminal groups.

The governor also appealed to communities in the state to cooperate with security agencies by sharing useful information that could help in identifying criminal hideouts and preventing further attacks.

Related Posts

Though Zamfara State has been implementing security measures, many observers believe the state needs more help from the federal government. They argue that the scale of banditry in the state requires stronger military presence, improved coordination among security agencies, and better protection for communities located in remote areas.

For residents of Bukkuyum Local Government Area, the past week has been one filled with grief and fear. The deaths from the explosion and the killing of the vice chairman have left the community in mourning and searching for answers.

Governor Lawal, in his message, prayed that Allah would comfort the families of all the victims and grant the deceased eternal rest. He assured the public that his government would continue working to make Zamfara safe again.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here