Police Charge Anthony Joshua’s Driver to Court as Case Is Adjourned to January 20

0
105

The Ogun State Police Command has charged the driver of Nigerian-British boxing star, Anthony Joshua, to court following a fatal road accident that claimed two lives. The driver, identified as Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, appeared before the Sagamu Magistrate Court on Friday.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the Ogun State Command, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed this in a statement made available to journalists. According to the police, the case has been adjourned to January 20, 2026, for further hearing.

“The Ogun State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the Anthony Joshua accident case, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, aged 46, was charged to the Sagamu Magistrate Court today, 2nd January, 2026, and the case has been adjourned to 20th January, 2026,” the statement said.

The development comes a day after the police announced that the driver was in custody and that investigations into the incident were ongoing.

Advertisement

The tragic accident occurred on Monday along a major road in Ogun State. Anthony Joshua was said to be involved in the accident, which reportedly involved a Lexus Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV). The incident led to the death of two people identified as Sina Ghami and Latif Ayodele, who were described as close friends of the boxing champion.

Related Posts

News of the accident shocked many Nigerians, especially sports fans, given Anthony Joshua’s status as one of the country’s most celebrated athletes on the global stage. Joshua, a former world heavyweight boxing champion, is widely admired in Nigeria and abroad for his achievements in boxing and his Nigerian heritage.

While initial reports caused confusion about Joshua’s role in the accident, the police later clarified that it was his driver who was behind the wheel at the time of the crash.

Following the incident, the Ogun State Police Command launched an investigation to determine the cause of the accident. On Thursday, the police confirmed that the driver of the vehicle had been arrested and was in custody.

DSP Babaseyi stated that the arrest was part of standard police procedure in cases involving fatal accidents. He also assured the public that the police would carry out a thorough and transparent investigation.

“The command remains committed to ensuring justice is served in line with the law,” the police spokesperson said earlier.

By Friday, the police concluded their preliminary investigation and charged the driver to court. Details of the specific charges were not made public, but such cases usually involve allegations of dangerous or reckless driving, especially when loss of life is involved.

At the Sagamu Magistrate Court, the driver was formally arraigned. After hearing brief details of the case, the court adjourned proceedings until January 20, 2026. The adjournment is expected to allow the prosecution time to prepare its case and for further investigations to be completed if necessary.

The case has attracted widespread attention across the country, mainly due to Anthony Joshua’s high profile. Many Nigerians have taken to social media to express sympathy for the families of the deceased and to call for justice.

Some members of the public have also urged the police and the courts to handle the matter without bias, stressing that the law should apply equally to everyone, regardless of status or fame.

Others have used the incident to renew calls for safer driving practices and better enforcement of traffic laws across the country. Road accidents remain a major cause of death in Nigeria, with many crashes linked to speeding, poor road conditions, and reckless driving.

Related Posts

Anthony Joshua was born in the United Kingdom to Nigerian parents and has often spoken proudly about his Nigerian roots. He has visited Nigeria several times and enjoys strong support from fans across the country.

As a global sports figure, events linked to Joshua often attract intense media coverage. However, the police have maintained that the case is being treated strictly as a legal matter, without regard to the fame of the vehicle owner.

So far, there has been no official statement from Anthony Joshua or his representatives regarding the court case. Sources close to the boxer say he is deeply saddened by the loss of his friends and is cooperating fully with authorities.

As the case moves forward, attention will now turn to the next court date on January 20, 2026. On that day, the court is expected to hear more details about the accident and decide on the next steps in the legal process.

The Ogun State Police Command has urged members of the public to remain calm and allow the law to take its course. The command also used the opportunity to remind drivers to obey traffic rules and drive responsibly to avoid needless loss of life.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here