The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the killing of two suspected criminals linked to the recent attack on the convoy of former Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige. The suspects were neutralised during a gun battle with police operatives, while other members of the gang escaped with gunshot injuries.
The police described the operation as a major breakthrough in their ongoing efforts to rid the state of criminal elements and improve public safety. The development comes amid growing concerns over insecurity in parts of Anambra State, including attacks on political figures, security personnel, and innocent residents.
The confirmation was made on Thursday by the spokesperson of the Anambra State Police Command, Mr Tochukwu Ikenga. He said the operation was carried out by officers of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), Awkuzu, following credible intelligence reports.
According to Ikenga, the police received information about the movement of a five-man criminal gang suspected to be responsible for several violent crimes in the state, including the attack on Ngige’s convoy. Acting on this intelligence, the operatives laid an ambush at the Enugwu Agidi junction, a known strategic location along a major route.
He explained that the suspects, who were believed to be armed robbers and cultists with links to a proscribed secessionist group, opened fire on the police when they noticed the ambush. This led to a fierce gun battle between the police and the suspects.
“During the exchange, which lasted about two hours, two of the armed suspects sustained fatal gunshot injuries,” Ikenga said. “Three other members of the gang escaped with varying degrees of injuries.”
The police spokesperson said efforts were ongoing to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects, adding that security has been tightened in the surrounding areas to prevent further attacks or escape.
Items recovered from the scene of the gun battle included one T.06 rifle, two pump-action guns, 24 rounds of T.06 ammunition, and 15 live cartridges. The police also recovered assorted criminal charms, a cult red beret, and a black Toyota Highlander vehicle believed to have been used by the suspects during their operations.
Ikenga said the recovered items further confirmed that the suspects were heavily armed and prepared to carry out violent attacks. He added that the presence of charms and cult-related items suggested the gang was involved in organised criminal activities.
The attack on Chris Ngige’s convoy had earlier raised alarm across the state. Ngige, a former governor of Anambra State and a senior political figure, has remained influential in national politics. Although details of the earlier attack were limited, the incident added to fears about the safety of public officials and road users in the state.
Anambra State has faced security challenges in recent years, including attacks on security formations, targeted killings, and armed robberies. Some of these crimes have been linked to cult groups, criminal gangs, and elements hiding under the cover of separatist agitation.
The police command said the latest operation shows its commitment to confronting criminal groups head-on. Ikenga noted that the command would not allow criminals to destabilise the state or threaten the lives of residents and visitors.
He also praised the operatives of the Rapid Response Squad for their courage and professionalism during the operation. According to him, the officers acted within the law and followed standard procedures in dealing with the armed suspects.
The police spokesperson urged residents of Anambra State to continue supporting security agencies by providing timely and credible information. He said intelligence from members of the public remains critical in preventing crimes and arresting suspects.
Reacting to the development, some residents of the area expressed relief that the police were making progress against criminal gangs. They said the presence of armed groups had caused fear and disrupted daily activities, especially along major roads.
However, others called on the government and security agencies to sustain the momentum and address the root causes of insecurity, including unemployment, drug abuse, and the spread of illegal weapons.
As investigations continue, the Anambra State Police Command said it would provide further updates on the case. For now, the killing of the two suspects is being seen as a significant step in the fight against crime in the state and a warning to other criminal groups operating in the region.
