Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during a deadly attack on schools in the Oriire area of Oyo State, while one teacher was killed by the gunmen.
The governor disclosed this on Sunday while speaking with journalists after a security meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state.
According to Makinde, the exact number of pupils still missing after the attack has not yet been confirmed, as security agencies and school authorities continue efforts to account for all students affected by the incident.
The governor said the attack had raised fresh concerns about the growing spread of insecurity from northern parts of the country into states in the South-West.
He revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher lost his life during the invasion by suspected gunmen, describing the development as painful and disturbing.
Makinde also announced that security operatives had arrested six suspects within the affected community and three additional persons of interest in connection with the attack.
According to him, preliminary investigations suggest that some of those arrested may have served as informants for the attackers.
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” the governor said.
He stated that intelligence reports indicated that the attackers were likely members of armed groups escaping from intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in parts of the North-West.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said.
The governor warned that states in the southern region must prepare for possible movements of criminal groups displaced by ongoing military offensives in northern Nigeria.
According to him, pressure on criminal groups in one region could force them to relocate to areas where security presence appears weaker.
“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he added.
The attack in Oriire has sent shockwaves across Oyo State, especially among parents and residents worried about the safety of schools and children.
Although details of how the gunmen entered the schools are still emerging, local sources said the attackers stormed the area suddenly, causing panic among teachers, pupils and residents.
The incident has again highlighted fears over increasing attacks on schools across Nigeria, particularly in rural communities with limited security presence.
In recent years, armed groups and kidnappers have repeatedly targeted schools in different parts of the country, leading to mass abductions of students and teachers.
Some of the most notable incidents occurred in states such as Kaduna, Niger, Zamfara and Katsina, where hundreds of schoolchildren were kidnapped in separate attacks.
The attacks forced some state governments to temporarily shut schools or strengthen security around educational institutions.
The latest incident in Oyo State has therefore raised concerns that insecurity previously concentrated in the North may be spreading further into the South-West.
Makinde disclosed that he had already begun discussions with authorities in neighbouring states and security agencies over the changing security situation.
He stressed that the state government would not rely only on military force to tackle the problem.
According to him, the government is combining security operations with consultations involving community leaders, religious figures and other stakeholders.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach,” the governor said.
“We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention.”
Makinde explained that one of the affected schools belongs to the Baptist Convention, making the church an important partner in efforts to manage the situation and support affected families.
The governor said community cooperation remained critical in identifying suspicious activities and preventing future attacks.
He urged residents to remain calm and continue supporting security agencies with useful information.
Makinde also assured families of the abducted teachers and missing pupils that the government was doing everything possible to secure their safe return.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” he assured.
The attack comes at a time when Nigeria continues to battle different forms of insecurity, including terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and communal violence.
While insurgency linked to Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province, ISWAP, remains a major challenge in the North-East, armed bandit groups have expanded operations across parts of the North-West and North-Central regions.
In recent months, security agencies have intensified military offensives against criminal groups in states such as Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina and Kaduna.
These operations have reportedly forced many fighters to flee from their camps and hideouts.
Oyo State, like many other South-West states, has in recent years experienced rising concerns over kidnappings, attacks on farmers and clashes involving armed groups.
Governors in the region have responded by strengthening local security arrangements and increasing collaboration with federal security agencies.
The South-West Security Network, also known as Amotekun, was created by governors in the region to support efforts against kidnapping and violent crimes.
Despite these measures, residents continue to demand stronger protection for schools and rural communities.
Parents and education stakeholders have also called for improved surveillance and security infrastructure around schools to prevent further attacks.
Many fear that repeated attacks on schools could discourage learning and increase fear among teachers, students and parents.
The killing of the Islamic Studies teacher has also drawn sympathy from residents and community leaders, who described the incident as tragic and heartbreaking.
As investigations continue, security agencies are expected to intensify operations in and around the Oriire area in search of the abducted victims and other suspects linked to the attack.
The Oyo State Government has maintained that efforts are ongoing to restore calm and ensure that those behind the attack are brought to justice.
