FG Begins Payment of Foreign Scholarship Allowances

0
6

The Federal Government has begun the payment of outstanding allowances owed to Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, Scholarship Program, bringing relief to many beneficiaries who had complained about months of financial hardship.

The development was announced on Wednesday in a statement issued by the Federal Ministry of Education and signed by the ministry’s Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade.

According to the statement, the Central Bank of Nigeria has successfully transferred approved funds to Nigerian embassies and foreign missions for immediate payment to eligible students studying in partner countries.

The Ministry said the release of the funds marks the beginning of efforts to clear outstanding obligations owed to Nigerian scholars under the programme for the 2025 academic session.

Advertisement

Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, explained that the amount released represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding allowances for 2025.

Related Posts

He said the Federal Government was already working on the payment of the remaining balance.

According to Alausa, the funds have already reached embassy accounts and the affected Nigerian missions abroad are expected to begin disbursement to students immediately.

“The Central Bank of Nigeria has successfully remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars,” the statement said.

The minister also advised students benefiting from the scholarship scheme to monitor their bank accounts as the payments begin to reflect.

The BEA Scholarship Program is a long-running arrangement through which the Nigerian government sponsors students to study in selected foreign countries under educational cooperation agreements signed with partner nations.

Over the years, the program has provided opportunities for Nigerian students to study courses such as medicine, engineering, science, technology and languages in countries across Europe, Asia and North Africa.

Beneficiaries are usually supported with tuition assistance, living allowances and other welfare payments from the Federal Government while studying abroad.

However, in recent years, many students under the program complained about long delays in the payment of allowances, a situation that reportedly left several scholars stranded and struggling to survive in foreign countries.

Some students had earlier raised concerns on social media and through student associations, saying the delays exposed them to serious financial difficulties, including accommodation problems, inability to pay bills and challenges meeting daily living expenses.

Reports of hardship among Nigerian scholars abroad had also triggered criticism from stakeholders who urged the Federal Government to urgently address the issue to protect the country’s image and prevent affected students from abandoning their studies.

Related Posts

The latest release of funds is therefore expected to bring relief to many students who have waited months for payment.

The Education Ministry stated that the government remains committed to fulfilling its responsibilities to Nigerian scholars and ensuring that students studying abroad receive the necessary support.

Alausa said the payment reflects the commitment of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students under the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

According to the minister, investing in education and human capital development remains an important part of the Federal Government’s long-term national development strategy.

He added that the administration understands the importance of supporting students representing Nigeria abroad and is determined to sustain policies that improve access to quality education.

The Federal Government also reaffirmed its commitment to promoting student welfare and strengthening programs that contribute to national growth through education.

Although the BEA scholarship program has officially been discontinued for new applicants, the government has continued to make arrangements for existing beneficiaries already studying abroad under the scheme.

The discontinuation of the program had earlier generated public debate, with some education stakeholders expressing concern over the future of foreign scholarship opportunities for Nigerian students.

Government officials, however, argued that the decision was necessary as part of wider reforms aimed at improving the management of scholarship programs and redirecting resources toward strengthening local educational institutions.

Despite the suspension of new admissions into the program, authorities assured beneficiaries already enrolled abroad that their welfare and financial obligations would still be honoured.

They warned that prolonged delays could affect students’ academic performance and damage Nigeria’s credibility in international educational partnerships.

The latest payment is expected to calm growing concerns among affected students and their families, many of whom had repeatedly appealed to the government for urgent intervention.

Some parents had also expressed fears that continued delays could expose students to immigration problems and difficulties with school authorities in their host countries.

For many students studying abroad under the BEA program, the latest development is seen as a major relief after months of waiting and anxiety over their financial situation.

The Ministry of Education said it would continue to work with relevant agencies and Nigerian missions abroad to ensure smooth disbursement of the funds and resolve any issues that may arise during the payment process.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here