Panic in Ekiti as School Shuts Over Bandit Scare

0
6

Fear and confusion swept through parts of Ekiti State on Thursday after authorities at Ayetoro-Iloro High School reportedly shut down academic activities following reports of suspected bandits near the community.

The development caused panic among students, parents and residents as frightened pupils were seen rushing out of the school premises and running along major roads in search of safety.

Videos shared on social media showed students crying, running in groups and seeking help from motorists and residents as tension spread across the area. Some residents were also seen trying to calm the students while others made frantic phone calls to relatives and security officials.

The incident happened amid growing concerns over insecurity in several parts of the country, especially attacks on rural communities and schools by armed groups and kidnappers.

Advertisement

Although no attack or abduction was confirmed as of the time of filing this report, the fear generated by the rumoured sighting of armed men created serious anxiety within the community.

Related Posts

Residents said the panic began after rumours circulated that suspected bandits had been spotted around nearby villages, raising fears that the school or surrounding communities could become targets.

According to sources in the area, the school management decided to close the school early as a precautionary measure to protect students and staff from any possible danger.

The decision reportedly triggered panic among students, many of whom rushed out of classrooms in fear.

Parents and guardians were later seen trying to locate and reunite with their children as confusion spread through the community.

Some residents described the situation as traumatic, saying the fear of possible attacks has continued to affect daily life in many rural communities.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said people now live in constant fear because of rising reports of kidnappings and attacks in different parts of the country.

“We cannot continue to live in fear every day. Government must deploy more security personnel to these rural communities before something terrible happens,” the resident said.

Another community member called on authorities to establish more security checkpoints on roads linking villages in the area.

According to the resident, the presence of soldiers and police officers around schools and major routes would help reassure residents and discourage criminal activity.

The incident has once again drawn attention to the growing security concerns facing schools in Nigeria, particularly in remote communities where security presence is often limited.

Related Posts

In recent years, several states across the country have witnessed attacks on schools, leading to the kidnapping of students and teachers. These incidents have forced some schools to temporarily shut down while parents increasingly worry about the safety of their children.

Although Ekiti State has not recorded attacks on schools on the scale seen in some northern states, residents say the fear of criminal infiltration into rural communities is becoming more serious.

The latest scare in Ayetoro-Iloro has therefore heightened calls for proactive security measures in rural parts of the state.

Some residents urged the Ekiti State Government to work closely with local vigilante groups, hunters and community leaders to improve intelligence gathering and surveillance in vulnerable areas.

Others also stressed the need for emergency response systems in schools so that students can be evacuated in an orderly and safe manner during security threats.

A parent whose child attends the school said the experience was deeply disturbing.

“We just saw children running everywhere. Parents were scared because nobody knew what was happening at first. Thank God no attack happened, but the fear alone was enough,” the parent said.

As tension gradually eased later in the day, residents continued to appeal for calm while awaiting an official statement from security agencies and the state government.

Community leaders also advised residents against spreading unverified information capable of causing unnecessary panic.

However, many residents insisted that the incident should serve as a wake-up call for authorities to strengthen security around schools and rural settlements before any real attack occurs.

At the time of filing this report, security agencies had yet to officially confirm reports of armed men in the area, while normalcy was gradually returning to the community.

Despite the absence of any confirmed attack, the incident has left many parents and residents shaken, with renewed fears over the safety of students and rural communities in Ekiti State.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here