Hoodlums Attack Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

0
5

Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire between the attackers and the governor’s security personnel.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission and visited the monarch at his palace in Osogbo, the state capital.

The attack caused panic in the area as residents and traders reportedly fled their shops and businesses following the sound of heavy gunshots.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the incident, saying the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.

Advertisement

Alimi also said no casualty was recorded during the incident.

Related Posts

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” the commissioner said.

Adeleke had arrived at the palace at about 3:15pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of INEC, where he received the certificate confirming his re-election as governor.

The governor had earlier won the August 15 governorship election in the state, defeating the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji.

After receiving the Certificate of Return, Adeleke proceeded to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo to pay homage to the traditional ruler.

An eyewitness said the governor and members of his entourage were received by Oba Oyetunji during the visit.

The eyewitness said Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch during the meeting, which also included prayers by the traditional ruler.

Trouble reportedly started as the meeting was coming to an end.

According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit traditionally reserved for the monarch and his wives and had entered the vehicle conveying him and some of his close aides when gunshots were heard.

“She was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots,” the eyewitness said.

Another account said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Toyota Sienna Space Bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo before opening fire.

Related Posts

The ensuing exchange of gunfire between the suspected hoodlums and the governor’s security personnel reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots,” the eyewitness said.

The attackers were also alleged to have engaged the governor’s security personnel in a gun battle around the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The development reportedly sent residents and traders in the area into panic, with some abandoning their businesses and running to safety.

As the sound of gunfire continued, people in the area were said to have sought shelter in nearby buildings and shops.

The motive of the attackers was not immediately clear as of the time of filing this report. There was also no immediate confirmation of any arrest by the security agencies.

The incident came at a politically significant period in Osun State, days after the governorship election that returned Adeleke to office.

The governor secured 511,067 votes in the election, defeating Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes. The result gave Adeleke another four-year term in office.

Following the declaration of the result, Adeleke had called for unity and promised to focus on governance after the election.

The receipt of the Certificate of Return formally marked another stage in the process of his re-election, with the document serving as official confirmation of his victory.

The visit to the Ataoja’s palace was also part of the governor’s engagements with traditional institutions after his electoral victory.

Wednesday’s attack, however, raised fresh concerns about security in Osogbo, particularly around the movement of political leaders and other public officials.

Security challenges remain a major concern across Nigeria, with attacks by criminal groups, political thugs and other armed elements reported in different parts of the country.

In Osun, security agencies have in recent years continued to warn against the activities of criminal groups and political thugs, particularly during periods of heightened political activity.

The state also witnessed heightened security operations before and during the August 15 governorship election as authorities sought to prevent violence and maintain law and order.

Although the latest incident did not result in any reported casualty, the exchange of gunfire around a traditional palace and a busy part of Osogbo is likely to raise concerns among residents over public safety.

The state government has yet to give further details on the identity of the attackers or the circumstances that led to the shooting.

It is also not clear whether the incident was directly linked to the governor’s visit to the palace or whether the attackers had another motive.

For now, attention is expected to focus on the security agencies as they work to identify those behind the attack and determine how the suspected hoodlums were able to operate around the governor’s convoy.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here