Ex-Obidient Director Begs Obi, Supporters For Forgiveness

0
9

Former Director of Mobilisation of the Obidient Movement, Morris Monye, has publicly apologised to former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and members of the Obidient Movement over comments he made after resigning from the group late last year.

Monye conveyed the apology in a statement shared on his X account on Thursday, about six months after his resignation from the movement.

The businessman had stepped down from his position in November 2025 following disagreements within the movement and dissatisfaction over its coordination and performance during the Anambra State governorship election.

At the time of his resignation, Monye criticised the internal structure of the movement and expressed frustration over what he described as weak organisation and lack of proper support for mobilisation activities.

Advertisement

He also revealed that he personally financed several mobilisation efforts across the country without financial assistance from the movement’s leadership or from Obi himself.

Related Posts

According to him, he spent personal resources on travel, voter awareness campaigns, logistics and support for local political structures during the movement’s activities.

His resignation letter generated reactions among supporters of the Obidient Movement, many of whom viewed his comments as damaging to the image of Obi and the group.

The Obidient Movement emerged as one of Nigeria’s biggest youth-driven political movements during the 2023 presidential election.

The movement was built around Obi’s presidential ambition under the Labour Party and attracted millions of young Nigerians who demanded political reforms, accountability and better governance.

Although Obi lost the 2023 presidential election, the Obidient Movement remained active across social media and grassroots political activities.

However, like many political movements, it has also faced internal disagreements and criticism from some former members over strategy, organisation and leadership structure.

In his latest statement, Monye admitted that his resignation letter was written in anger and frustration.

He described his actions as immature and acknowledged that some of his comments unfairly dragged Obi into unnecessary controversy.

“In that letter, I allowed deep frustration and personal emotions to cloud my judgment,” he wrote.

“I made statements that subtly and unnecessarily dragged Peter Obi, a man I still respect for his vision, integrity, and sacrifice for this nation. That was wrong. It was childish, and beneath the standard I should have upheld, especially as someone who once held a leadership position in this movement.”

Related Posts

Monye accepted responsibility for the comments and stressed that nobody influenced him to write the letter.

“I take full responsibility. No one forced me to write it. No one edited it. It came from me, and it was a mistake,” he added.

The former mobilisation director also said deleting the resignation letter afterwards did not erase the disappointment and loss of trust many supporters felt.

“I deleted the letter afterwards, but I know deletion does not erase the damage, the disappointment, or the loss of trust many of you felt,” he stated.

He admitted that many supporters had every reason to feel betrayed by his actions.

Monye went further to offer a direct apology to Obi, saying his comments did not reflect the values of sacrifice, accountability and constructive criticism that the former Anambra governor often preached.

“Sir, I am sincerely sorry. My words were not a true reflection of the values of sacrifice, accountability, and constructive criticism that you preach. I failed in that moment,” he said.

He also apologised to members of the Obidient Movement, especially young supporters who remained committed to the political vision despite challenges.

“To every single Obidient, the ones who stayed grinding, the ones who defended the vision even when it was tough, the ones who felt betrayed by my actions, I am deeply sorry,” he wrote.

“You are the real heroes of this movement.”

According to him, many young Nigerians looked up to the movement with hope for a better country and did not deserve to witness internal disagreements become public drama.

“Many of you are young people full of hope and fire for a better Nigeria. You didn’t deserve to see internal cracks turned into public drama. I let you down,” he added.

Monye, however, insisted that his apology was not motivated by a desire to regain influence or secure another position within the movement.

“This apology is not because I want favours or a position. It is because it is the right thing to do,” he said.

He stressed that leadership also involves admitting mistakes and taking responsibility for actions.

“Leadership is not only about when the road is sweet and smooth; it is also about owning up when you mess up. I own this fully,” he added.

Monye also pledged to rebuild trust through his future actions, though he admitted that trust takes time to regain.

“I am committed to rebuilding trust through consistent actions, not just words. But I also know trust is not demanded, it is earned back slowly, if at all,” he stated.

The apology has generated mixed reactions online, especially among Obidient supporters.

While some supporters welcomed the apology and praised Monye for taking responsibility, others argued that the earlier resignation letter caused unnecessary division within the movement.

Related Posts

Since the 2023 election, the Obidient Movement has continued to evolve from a campaign structure into a broader political and civic platform driven mainly by young Nigerians.

Despite internal disagreements, Obi continues to maintain strong support among many Nigerian youths and urban voters, especially on social media platforms.

The former governor has consistently positioned himself as an advocate for transparency, prudent management of public resources and issue-based politics.

Monye’s public apology is therefore seen by some observers as an attempt to restore peace and reduce tension within the movement ahead of future political activities.

Whether the apology will fully repair damaged relationships within the Obidient family remains uncertain, but it has reopened conversations about loyalty, criticism and accountability within Nigeria’s growing youth-led political movements.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here