Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State has ordered the immediate suspension of all activities of the Imo State Environmental Transformation Commission (ENTRACO) following a fatal incident in Owerri, the state capital.
The governor’s decision came after a reported confrontation involving ENTRACO officials led to the death of one person and left another critically injured.
A statement issued on Monday by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Ogwike Nwachuku, said the suspension takes effect immediately and will remain in force until further notice.
Governor Uzodimma described the incident as “unfortunate and unacceptable,” saying the government would not tolerate any action that endangered lives or undermined public trust.
“The Governor is not unmindful of other recent ugly incidents where the mode of operations of ENTRACO was brought to question by members of the public,” the statement said.
The Imo State Environmental Transformation Commission (ENTRACO) was established to handle environmental sanitation, waste management, and traffic control across the state.
Over the years, however, the agency has faced public criticism for alleged harassment, extortion, and heavy-handed enforcement during its operations.
Residents and motorists in Owerri and surrounding areas have repeatedly accused some ENTRACO officials of using excessive force in carrying out their duties.
The latest incident, which reportedly turned violent and resulted in the loss of life, has renewed calls for the government to reform or overhaul the agency.
While announcing the suspension, Governor Uzodimma warned that the government’s decision should not be seen as a licence for lawlessness.
He reminded residents that traffic, environmental, and sanitation laws remain in effect and must still be obeyed despite ENTRACO’s suspension.
“The immediate suspension of ENTRACO operations is not a license for members of the public to take traffic, environmental, and other laws into their hands,” the governor warned.
“Those found violating such laws will pay dearly for it.”
The governor also expressed sympathy to the families of the victims and assured the public that a full investigation would be carried out to determine the cause of the tragedy and hold those responsible accountable.
Some residents in Owerri welcomed the suspension, saying it was long overdue given the frequent complaints about ENTRACO’s methods.
A commercial tricycle operator, who gave his name as Chima, said: “ENTRACO people have been harassing drivers and seizing our vehicles over small issues. The government should reform them completely.”
Another resident, Mrs. Nneka Eze, urged the government to retrain ENTRACO officials before allowing them back to work.
“We support environmental laws, but the enforcement should be humane. The killing of an innocent person is heartbreaking,” she said.
Government sources said a committee may be set up to review ENTRACO’s operations and recommend reforms.
The review is expected to cover training, discipline, and accountability measures to prevent future incidents.
Meanwhile, security agencies have been directed to maintain order in areas previously supervised by ENTRACO, especially during the regular environmental sanitation exercises.
Governor Uzodimma assured residents that his administration remains committed to protecting lives while ensuring a clean and orderly state.
“Our government will not compromise on safety or the rule of law,” the statement concluded.
