Fresh controversy has surrounded the continued detention of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, after former deputy national publicity secretary of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Timi Frank, alleged that a Russian doctor was brought to examine the former governor without the consent of his family.
Frank made the allegation in a statement issued on Friday, where he expressed concern over El-Rufai’s health and safety while in the custody of the Department of State Services, DSS.
According to Frank, the foreign doctor reportedly visited El-Rufai late on Thursday night under claims that the former governor was ill and needed medical attention.
He said the situation raised serious questions, especially because El-Rufai reportedly appeared healthy during his last appearance at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
“A DSS official reached out to me to reliably confirm that a Russian doctor visited Mallam Nasir El-Rufai at about 9:45 p.m. under the claim that he was ill and required medical attention,” Frank stated.
“Although Mallam El-Rufai allegedly refused initially, he was reportedly compelled to undergo medical examination.”
Frank questioned why a foreign doctor would be brought in at night if there was truly a medical emergency involving the former governor.
“If Mallam El-Rufai is truly ill, why bring in a foreign doctor at that time of the night?” he asked.
The former APC spokesman also appealed to northern leaders, youths and civil society groups not to remain silent over the situation.
“I pray that northern elders and youths will not sit back and watch anything untoward happen to Mallam El-Rufai,” Frank added.
He further called on the Nigerian Bar Association, religious leaders, traditional rulers, civil society organisations and the international community to demand El-Rufai’s release so he could properly prepare for his defence.
“I therefore call on the Nigerian Bar Association, religious leaders, northern elders, traditional rulers, northern youths, civil society organizations, well-meaning Nigerians, and the international community to urgently demand his immediate release so he can adequately prepare for his defense,” he said.
The allegation has added another layer to the growing public debate surrounding El-Rufai’s arrest, trial and continued detention by the DSS.
The former Kaduna governor was recently granted bail in the sum of N100 million by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja, over allegations linked to national security breaches.
However, despite the bail ruling, El-Rufai was returned to DSS custody pending the fulfilment of his bail conditions.
His continued detention has since attracted reactions from political associates, supporters and family members, who argue that the former governor should not remain in custody after being granted bail by the court.
Members of El-Rufai’s family had earlier raised concerns over his prolonged detention and alleged restrictions placed on access to him.
So far, the DSS has not publicly responded to Frank’s latest allegations regarding the Russian doctor or claims that El-Rufai was forced to undergo medical examination.
The development has also sparked discussions among political observers and legal experts, many of whom believe the matter could deepen political tensions in the North.
El-Rufai remains one of the most influential political figures in northern Nigeria. He served as governor of Kaduna State for eight years and was previously Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
Known for his outspoken style and strong political views, El-Rufai has remained active in national political debates even after leaving office in 2023.
His recent legal troubles have therefore attracted widespread public attention across the country.
Although details of the national security allegations against him have not been fully disclosed to the public, the case has continued to generate political controversy and intense media interest.
Several human rights organisations have in the past criticised security agencies for holding suspects despite meeting or being granted bail conditions.
The latest claims by Timi Frank are likely to increase pressure on the DSS to provide clarification on El-Rufai’s condition and the circumstances surrounding the alleged medical examination.
Meanwhile, supporters of the former governor continue to demand transparency and fair treatment, while security agencies insist that all actions taken are within the law and in the interest of national security.
