Terrorists Still Holding Abducted Oyo Students, Teachers — Police

0
7

The Oyo State Police Command has said that students, pupils and teachers abducted during last Friday’s attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state have not yet been rescued.

The police also dismissed reports circulating on social media claiming that the victims had regained freedom, describing the information as false and misleading.

The command’s spokesperson, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, made this known in a statement issued on Friday in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

According to the police, security agencies are still carrying out intensive operations to rescue the victims safely and arrest those behind the attack.

Advertisement

“The Oyo State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that the abducted students, pupils, and teachers in Orire Local Government Area are yet to be released, as intensive efforts by security agencies continue to ensure their safe rescue and the arrest of those responsible for the criminal act,” the statement said.

Related Posts

The police stressed that the command was aware of rumours suggesting that the victims had been rescued, but insisted that no such operation had succeeded so far.

“The Command hereby debunks the rumour currently circulating that the victims have been rescued,” the statement added.

The command urged residents of the state to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information capable of creating fear and confusion among members of the public.

According to the police, fake news and misinformation could negatively affect ongoing rescue efforts and place unnecessary pressure on security agencies involved in the operation.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm, support the ongoing efforts of the joint security team, and verify every piece of information before sharing it,” the police said.

“The spread of fake news and misinformation only creates unnecessary panic, heightens tension, and diverts limited security resources that are critically needed for the ongoing operations.”

The command assured residents that updates would be released as soon as there were confirmed developments regarding the rescue mission.

The attack on the schools in Oriire Local Government Area has continued to generate fear and anxiety across Oyo State, especially among parents and teachers who are worried about the safety of schoolchildren in rural communities.

Although the exact number of abducted pupils and teachers has not been officially disclosed by authorities, local sources said the incident occurred when heavily armed attackers invaded the schools and forcefully took away students and staff members.

The incident has once again raised concerns about growing insecurity around schools in different parts of Nigeria.

Related Posts

In recent years, several states across the country have witnessed attacks on schools by bandits and criminal gangs seeking ransom payments. Many of such attacks have happened in northern states including Kaduna, Niger, Zamfara and Katsina.

While states in the South-West have not witnessed school attacks on the same scale, security experts and community leaders have repeatedly warned that criminal groups are gradually expanding their operations into new areas.

Residents of communities in Oriire Local Government Area have reportedly been living in fear since the incident occurred. Some parents were said to have withdrawn their children from nearby schools due to concerns over possible fresh attacks.

Community leaders in the area have also appealed to the Federal Government and security agencies to strengthen security around schools and rural settlements.

Several civil society groups and residents have called on the government to improve intelligence gathering and increase the presence of security personnel in vulnerable areas.

The attack has also renewed discussions about the safety of schools under the Federal Government’s Safe School Initiative, which was introduced to protect students and teachers from attacks and kidnappings.

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Police Command said it remains committed to securing the release of the victims and bringing the attackers to justice.

The command advised residents seeking verified information about the incident to contact the Police Public Relations Officer or the command’s control room instead of relying on rumours circulating online.

Families of the abducted victims are still waiting anxiously for positive news, while many residents across the state continue to pray for the safe return of the students, pupils and teachers.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here