Only Family, Lawyers Can See El-Rufai – ICPC

0
8
El- Rufai

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, has denied a request by the African Democratic Congress, ADC, to visit former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, who is currently in the custody of the anti-graft agency.

The Commission said the request could not be approved because access to the former governor had already been restricted by court orders.

This was contained in a letter dated May 21, 2026, and addressed to the National Secretary of the ADC in Abuja.

According to the letter, El-Rufai is presently standing trial before two separate courts in Kaduna State — the State High Court and the Federal High Court.

Advertisement

The ICPC explained that although the former governor remains in its custody, his detention is based on orders issued by the courts handling the cases against him.

Related Posts

The anti-corruption agency stressed that the matter is already before competent courts and must therefore be handled in line with judicial directives.

“The court has granted access to the defendant to his family, doctors and counsels. These are the only category of persons granted access to see the defendant in the Commission’s custody,” the Commission stated in the letter.

The agency added that based on the court’s position, it could not grant the ADC permission to visit him.

The development is the latest twist in the legal and political troubles surrounding El-Rufai, who remains one of the most influential political figures in northern Nigeria.

Although details of the charges currently before the courts were not stated in the letter, the former Kaduna governor has remained at the centre of political and legal controversies in recent months.

His reported detention by the ICPC has continued to generate reactions across political circles, especially among opposition parties and supporters.

The ADC had reportedly sought permission to see El-Rufai as part of efforts to show solidarity with him amid the ongoing court cases.

However, the ICPC maintained that it was bound by the conditions already laid down by the courts.

Legal experts say the Commission’s position reflects standard legal procedure in matters involving suspects or defendants standing trial.

According to lawyers familiar with criminal proceedings, access to detained persons is often limited once a court issues specific directives regarding custody and visitation rights.

Related Posts

Under Nigerian law, persons standing trial are entitled to legal representation, medical care and family access, while additional visits may require court approval depending on the circumstances of the case.

The issue has also drawn political attention because of El-Rufai’s status as a former governor and a major political actor.

El-Rufai served as governor of Kaduna State between 2015 and 2023 under the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.

Before becoming governor, he also served as Director-General of the Bureau of Public Enterprises and later as Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration.

Known for his outspoken style and controversial reforms while in office, El-Rufai has remained active in national political discussions even after leaving office.

In recent months, he has been linked with opposition political activities and coalition talks ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Meanwhile, the ICPC has continued to defend its handling of the matter, insisting that its actions are guided strictly by the law and court orders.

The Commission said it remains committed to respecting the rights of all defendants while carrying out its anti-corruption mandate.

The agency also stressed that the restriction placed on visitation was not targeted at any political party or group but was based entirely on judicial directives.

The ADC is yet to officially react publicly to the rejection of its request as of the time of filing this report.

However, party supporters and political associates of the former governor are expected to continue monitoring developments surrounding the case.

The ongoing court proceedings are also expected to attract significant public attention in the coming weeks because of El-Rufai’s political influence and the wider implications for opposition politics in the country.

For now, the ICPC has made it clear that only El-Rufai’s family members, doctors and legal representatives will be allowed access to him while he remains in custody pending the continuation of his trials before the courts in Kaduna State.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here