Widow Begs FG To Recover Slain Oyo Teacher’s Body

0
8

The widow of a teacher allegedly killed during the recent attack on schools in Oyo State has appealed to the Federal Government and security agencies to recover her husband’s remains for burial.

Mrs Mary Oyedokun made the emotional appeal days after her husband, Mr Michael Oyedokun, was reportedly abducted alongside several teachers and pupils during coordinated attacks on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.

The attacks, which shocked residents and triggered outrage across the country, affected Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota.

Reports indicated that between 46 and 48 persons, including teachers, pupils and other school workers, were kidnapped during the attacks.

Advertisement

The incident has renewed concerns about the growing insecurity in parts of the South-West, especially attacks targeting schools and rural communities.

Related Posts

Families of the victims have continued to demand urgent government intervention as rescue efforts by security agencies continue.

Public anger increased after a disturbing video allegedly showing the killing of Mr Oyedokun surfaced online and spread widely on social media platforms.

The video sparked reactions from Nigerians across the country, including celebrities, civil society organisations and education advocates who condemned the attack and called for stronger protection of schools and communities.

Many Nigerians also criticised the worsening security situation and urged authorities to intensify efforts to prevent further attacks on schools.

In another emotional video obtained on Friday, Mrs Oyedokun appealed directly to the government to help recover the body of her husband so he could be buried properly according to family and cultural traditions.

Speaking in Yoruba and struggling to hold back tears, she said the family was in deep pain over the uncertainty surrounding the whereabouts of her husband’s remains.

“I am begging the government to please recover the body of my husband. I want him to have a burial site for future reference,” she said.

The widow’s appeal has drawn sympathy from many Nigerians, especially teachers and parents worried about the safety of school workers and students in rural communities.

Community members in the affected areas have also expressed fear over the attacks, with some parents reportedly keeping their children away from school because of security concerns.

Residents said the attacks have disrupted academic activities and created tension across the local government area.

Related Posts

Security agencies have continued operations aimed at rescuing the remaining abducted victims and tracking down the attackers.

Officials said joint security teams involving the police, military, local vigilantes and other security agencies have been deployed to parts of the affected communities.

Authorities have not yet confirmed the exact number of persons still in captivity, but rescue operations were said to be ongoing.

Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, had earlier condemned the attacks and assured residents that the government was working closely with security agencies to secure the safe return of all abducted persons.

The governor said both kinetic and non-kinetic measures were being used in ongoing rescue efforts.

Kinetic measures generally involve direct security operations by armed personnel, while non-kinetic approaches include intelligence gathering, negotiations and community engagement.

Makinde also urged residents to remain calm and continue supporting security agencies with credible information that could help rescue the victims and arrest the attackers.

The attack has once again highlighted growing fears over insecurity in schools across Nigeria.

In recent years, several states have witnessed attacks on schools, with students and teachers increasingly becoming targets for kidnapping and ransom demands.

Although many of the major school abductions in recent years occurred in northern Nigeria, security experts have warned that criminal groups are gradually expanding operations into other parts of the country.

The Federal Government had earlier introduced the Safe Schools Initiative aimed at improving security infrastructure around schools and preventing attacks on students and teachers.

However, many rural schools still face serious security challenges, including poor fencing, lack of security personnel and difficult access roads.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu also reacted to the Oyo attacks by condemning the killing of the teacher.

The President described the incident as barbaric and assured Nigerians that security agencies were intensifying efforts to rescue the remaining captives and bring those responsible to justice.

Tinubu also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to tackling insecurity and protecting lives and property across the country.

Meanwhile, residents of Oriire Local Government Area have continued to call for a stronger security presence in schools and nearby communities to prevent future attacks.

Some community leaders urged the government to establish security posts around vulnerable schools and improve intelligence gathering in rural areas.

Teachers’ unions and education groups have also demanded better protection for teachers working in isolated communities, warning that repeated attacks could discourage educators from accepting rural postings.

As rescue operations continue, many families of the abducted victims remain anxious and hopeful that their loved ones will return safely.

For Mrs Oyedokun, however, the immediate concern is recovering the remains of her husband and giving him a dignified burial.

Related Posts

Her emotional appeal has become a symbol of the pain and trauma many families continue to face as insecurity spreads across communities in different parts of the country.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here