No fewer than 10 people are feared dead and several others injured following attacks on communities in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State on Sunday.
The attacks, reportedly carried out by suspected armed herdsmen, forced hundreds of residents to flee their homes for neighbouring communities as the attackers moved through several settlements.
The affected communities are in Mbazun Mbaterem, including Tse Yawe, Ikpuu, Ter Ukum Orkaa Kaave and Tse Kyaave.
However, the Benue State Police Command confirmed three deaths and four injuries in the attack, saying security forces had been deployed to the area to restore calm and track down the perpetrators.
The police said the attack occurred at about 7am at Aboajo Village, Mbateren Mbazum Council Ward, Ukum Local Government Area.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Peter Aondongu, the command said three people were killed while four others suffered machete injuries.
“The Benue State Police Command confirms that an attack occurred today, August 16, 2026, at about 7am, at Aboajo Village, Mbateren Mbazum Council Ward, Ukum LGA.
“Three persons were killed in the attack, while four others sustained machete injuries and were rescued to a medical facility for treatment,” the statement said.
The command added that additional tactical and patrol teams had been deployed to the area and were making efforts to arrest those responsible.
“Monitoring and security operations are ongoing,” the police said.
But residents and local sources claimed that the death toll could be higher than the figure given by the police.
A farmer in the area, who identified himself simply as Mbaane, alleged that more than 300 armed men entered the communities from the Wukari axis of neighbouring Taraba State.
According to him, the attackers arrived at about 6:30am and moved from one settlement to another, shooting at residents.
He alleged that about 10 people were killed while several others sustained injuries during the attacks.
“The people who carried out the attack were more than 300 and they were armed herdsmen who were alleged to have come from Wukari axis of Taraba State.
“They were shooting people and moving from one community to another. It was like a huge army of armed herdsmen who came just to kill without any provocation from their victims,” he said.
The farmer added that the intervention of soldiers and police officers helped to repel the attackers and prevent further loss of lives.
“Luckily, the army and police personnel engaged them and made efforts to repel them. Though they came in large numbers, the effort of the army helped to save the lives of many,” he said.
The attacks have again raised concerns over the security situation in Benue, a state that has suffered repeated violence involving farming communities and armed groups over the years.
Several communities across the state have been affected by attacks, leading to deaths, displacement and the destruction of homes and farmlands.
The latest incident also comes amid continuing efforts by the state and Federal Government to improve security and prevent attacks on rural communities.
Reacting to the latest violence, Benue State Governor Hyacinth Alia commended the security agencies for their intervention and assured residents that his administration would continue to support efforts to protect lives and property.
In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Tersoo Kula, the governor said suspected terrorists “masquerading as herdsmen” had invaded and attacked residents of Mbaterem in Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina, Aboajio and Ukpen communities of Mbazun Ward.
Alia expressed condolences to the families of those killed and sympathised with the injured.
He also assured security agencies of the state government’s support in their efforts to protect communities and restore peace.
The governor warned against attempts to frustrate the peace process in Benue, insisting that residents would not be forced to abandon their ancestral lands because of attacks.
“Benue lands for Benue people. Anyone who thinks attacking us will intimidate us to leave the land is making a mistake,” he said.
Alia added that he had sworn an oath to protect the people of the state and would continue to work with security agencies to achieve that goal.
“I took an oath to protect our people, and I will not relent. I must appreciate the fact that the Federal Government is advancing a lot of support for us to tackle these acts of terrorism,” he said.
The governor urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious movements to security agencies, stressing that early information could help security personnel prevent attacks.
“Like I always say, you must all remain vigilant and always ensure that you forward information on suspicious movements around you. This is the only way we can be able to effectively tackle these criminals,” he said.
He also directed security agencies to maintain their presence in strategic areas across the state and confront groups he described as enemies of the state.
The governor assured residents that the government would not relent in its efforts to secure communities, while security personnel continued operations to identify and arrest those responsible for the latest attacks.
For residents of Ukum, however, the immediate concern remains their safety and the return of those who fled their homes.
The conflicting casualty figures between the police and local sources could not immediately be independently resolved. While the police confirmed three deaths and four injuries, residents claimed that the coordinated nature of the attacks resulted in a higher number of casualties.
Security agencies are expected to provide further details as investigations and operations in the affected communities continue.
The incident has once again highlighted the need for stronger security presence in vulnerable rural communities, as well as improved intelligence gathering and rapid response to threats.
