Re-elected Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed the state Attorney General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.
Adeleke announced the decision shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election in Osun State, saying he had chosen to move past the dispute following an intervention by President Bola Tinubu.
The governor disclosed this during an interview on Channels Television’s *Sunday Politics*, where he was asked whether he was ready to put the political disputes and the legal battle with the EFCC behind him after securing another term in office.
Adeleke said he had already instructed the Attorney General to discontinue the case, describing Tinubu’s intervention as a positive step.
“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr. President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” he said.
The development marks a change in Adeleke’s position after his administration had challenged the EFCC’s decision to restrict access to the state government’s account.
The governor had previously described the account freeze as politically motivated, arguing that the action affected the ability of his administration to carry out its duties and meet its financial obligations.
The dispute became a major issue in the build-up to the Osun governorship election, particularly because the restrictions were imposed shortly before the poll.
The EFCC had frozen the account as part of its activities relating to an investigation, but the move attracted strong opposition from the Osun State Government.
Adeleke and officials of his administration had questioned the timing of the action and expressed concerns that it could affect the running of the state government.
The controversy also became part of the wider political tension between the Peoples Democratic Party-led Osun Government and the All Progressives Congress ahead of the election.
However, President Tinubu later intervened in the dispute and directed the anti-graft agency to lift the restrictions on the state government’s account and discontinue the related legal proceedings.
Adeleke, who emerged victorious in the governorship election, said the President’s intervention had provided an opportunity to put the disagreement behind him and focus on governance.
His decision to withdraw the suit is expected to ease tensions between the state government and the Federal Government, particularly as Adeleke prepares to begin another four-year term.
The governor’s victory in the election came amid a closely watched contest involving the ruling APC candidate and other political parties.
The election attracted significant national attention because of the political interests involved and the broader rivalry between the Accord Party and APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Adeleke’s decision to discontinue the EFCC case also comes at a time when he is expected to consolidate his administration and focus on the delivery of projects and policies during his second term.
The governor had made security, infrastructure, education, healthcare and other areas major parts of his administration’s agenda during his first term.
Meanwhile, Adeleke also spoke about reports that some of his supporters and government officials had been invited for questioning by the EFCC.
He said he had directed his lawyers to provide the necessary support to those affected.
“Well, we have been talking. I have been calling all my lawyers to go there,” he said.
The governor also referred to claims by members of the APC in Osun that federal agencies were being used against the state government and its officials.
“I’m sure the APC in Osun, according to them, they are telling us they are using federal might,” Adeleke said.
The governor’s comments suggest that while he is prepared to end the legal dispute over the frozen account, concerns over investigations involving his supporters and officials may continue to generate political debate.
The EFCC, as Nigeria’s main anti-corruption agency responsible for investigating and prosecuting financial crimes, has often faced criticism from politicians who accuse it of selective or politically motivated investigations. The agency has repeatedly maintained that its investigations are based on allegations and evidence rather than political considerations.
For Adeleke, however, the immediate focus appears to be on moving beyond the dispute and beginning his second term without the account-freezing controversy hanging over the state government.
The governor’s decision followed his victory at the August 15 poll, where he secured another term after defeating his main challenger.
His decision to withdraw the case also reflects a broader effort to reduce tensions between the Osun Government and the Federal Government following months of political disagreements.
By accepting the President’s intervention and ordering the withdrawal of the lawsuit, Adeleke said he was ready to put the matter behind him.
The development could also create room for greater cooperation between the state and Federal Government, especially in areas requiring federal support.
With the election now concluded, the governor is expected to turn his attention to governance and the implementation of his campaign promises, while the political parties prepare for the next electoral cycle.
For now, Adeleke’s position is that the dispute with the EFCC should no longer stand in the way of his administration’s efforts to govern the state.
