The lawmaker representing Surulere I Constituency in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, has officially withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress, APC, primary election for the constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Elliot announced his withdrawal in a video that surfaced on social media on Wednesday, where he alleged intimidation and disruption during the exercise.
In the video, the actor-turned-politician expressed frustration over the situation at the venue of the primary election, claiming that his supporters and loyalists were prevented from participating in the process.
“My name is Desmond Elliot. In all zones, they have been intimidating and stopping us. I want to officially announce my withdrawal from this particular race. This is my ward, if you go outside, those are my people outside, and they have not been allowed, so I am officially announcing my withdrawal from this race. Good luck, thank you,” he said.
The development came as a surprise to many party supporters in Surulere, especially as Elliot had been seeking another term in the Lagos State House of Assembly under the platform of the APC.
Desmond Elliot has represented Surulere I Constituency since 2015 after winning election into the Assembly during the administration of former Lagos governor, Akinwunmi Ambode. Before joining politics, he was widely known in the Nigerian movie industry as a popular actor, producer and director in Nollywood.
Over the years, Elliot became one of the most recognised entertainers in Nigerian politics. However, his political career has also attracted criticism and controversy at different times.
One of the biggest moments that brought him under public attention was during the 2020 EndSARS protests. A video of Elliot speaking at the Lagos State House of Assembly went viral after he described social media as a major problem in society. His comments triggered heavy criticism from many young Nigerians who accused him of being disconnected from the struggles of the youth.
Despite the backlash, Elliot retained his seat in the Assembly during the 2023 elections and continued to play an active role within the ruling APC in Lagos State.
His sudden withdrawal from the latest primary has now raised questions about internal happenings within the party in Surulere and the wider Lagos political structure.
In many cases, party members have accused rival camps of manipulation, intimidation and attempts to control delegate voting during primaries. Such disagreements have sometimes led to protests, court cases and defections.
As of Wednesday evening, the Lagos chapter of the APC had not officially reacted to Elliot’s withdrawal or the allegations he raised in the video.
Supporters of the lawmaker have also expressed disappointment over the development. Some residents in Surulere described the situation as unfortunate, saying they expected a peaceful and transparent process.
Others, however, argued that party primaries are often competitive and tense, especially in a politically important state like Lagos where securing the APC ticket is widely seen as a major advantage in winning the general election.
Surulere remains one of the key political areas in Lagos State and has produced several influential politicians over the years. The constituency is also considered politically active because of its large population and strategic location on the Mainland.
Elliot’s withdrawal may now open the door for other aspirants seeking the APC ticket for Surulere I constituency. Analysts believe the outcome of the primary could shape political alignments in the area ahead of the next election.
Meanwhile, the video of the lawmaker’s announcement has continued to generate reactions online, with many Nigerians debating the state of internal democracy within political parties in the country.
While some sympathized with Elliot and condemned the alleged intimidation, others said his experience reflected the broader challenges many politicians and party members face during primary elections across Nigeria.
